An Open Letter to the Ghost in My House

An Open Letter to the Ghost in My House

It's totally cool that your here, could you just stop waking me up at 3:30 am every night?

26
An Open Letter to the Ghost in My House
pinimg.com

Dear Amy,

Honestly, I don't know if that's your name. We made it up for you until you feel ready to tell us your actual name. So for now, we'll address you as Amy...hope that's alright!

So...Amy, Darling...How are you? You must be exhausted. You are constantly on the move girl! You gotta be super old cause you've been here forever, and it seems like you never sleep! Wow...I remember the first time I realized you were here. It feels like yesterday. I walked in from school one afternoon to an empty house; at least I thought it was empty. I walked into the bathroom to hear singing coming from the next room. I swore I was going crazy, I mean no one was home right? Well, you certainly surprised me. I stood still, frozen in fear. Was there someone in the house? Who was singing like this? When my limbs stopped being paralyzed I ran out of the bathroom, down the hall, jumped down so many steps I don't even think my feet touched them, and continued running all the way down the street. I'm sorry our first encounter was so awkward.

I have to say, up until that point I never really noticed you. Maybe you were waiting for the right moment, until we were alone for you to introduce yourself. I never got to tell you this, but your voice is quite lovely. Since that day I haven't heard your voice much, but I have definitely heard you walking around. You should really invest in a Fitbit, I'm sure you'd hit 10,000 steps easily. My mom has heard you walking many times. You've tricked on more than one occasion, Amy. She'll wake up early in the morning and go downstairs and just as she thinks someone else has woken up and walked down the stairs she'll turn to look and no one will be there. Is this amusing to you? If so, how can we prank her together? I love a good prank.

As for my dog Brody, I know you like to play with him. I see the way he looks at you and growls at empty spaces. I see the way he sniffs the air and backs away as if your chasing after him. I promise you he doesn't bite. He's only 9 pounds so please be nice to him. He loves his green ball, so if you're ever home alone with him, I encourage you to toss it around. Maybe that will warm him up to you.

If I can ask you one question though, I would love it if you'd stop waking me up every night at 3:30. I used to watch a lot of scary movies so I know that's like your prime hours for fun but for us mortals, that's the middle of the night! We need our sleep. And I know what your thinking, "you'll sleep when your dead". Not funny Amy. I'm already up early enough for classes I don't need to wake up again at 3:30 am only to fear that your staring over me while I sleep.

When I was younger I was scared there was a monster in my closet. So my mother used to make an "anti-monster spray" and it worked for years, until I found out it was just water and a bunch of herbs from the spice cabinet. My mother would slave in the kitchen late at night like a shaman trying to come up with the perfect anti-monster potion. Not to offend you, but if you keep waking me up I may have to result back to this tactic, and that wouldn't be fun for either of us, or my mother. I don't know how old some of those herbs are...ew.

Well, hope all is well. Sorry if my night light bothers you but it's the price you have to pay for freaking me out sometimes. I know your not a bad ghost Amy. In fact, I'm sure it's confusing for you to see us living in your old house. But I can tell you this, even though it's our house now, you're always going to be a part of it, and you're welcome to stay as long as you want. Just STOP WAKING ME UP!

Love your roommate and mortal friend,

Steph