An Open Letter To The Cousin Who Became A Sister

"Family is always there, always on call. Womb to tomb. Ride or die." - Meredith Grey

2506

When we were younger, catching us in the same room together without us arguing was nearly impossible. We couldn't get along to save our lives. Now you are my very best friend, my partner in crime, my right hand, my person.

Growing up with you was interesting, to say the least. Family gatherings, cheering, sleepovers, trips to Lake Winnie, birthdays, and everything in between. We always found something to argue about. Whether it was who was sleeping against the wall, who could wear what, who was whose best friend, who got to sit up front, who got to play with which Bratz Doll. Anything you could think of, we argued about.

As we got older, I found a forever best friend in you. I always knew that, no matter what, you would be there for me.

Not only have you been here for me through everything, you've went through it all with me. You never let me make a bad decision on my own, you never let me cry alone, you never let me eat a whole pizza and pint of ice cream in one sitting alone, you never let me be alone or feel alone. You've always made sure I knew that if I had no one else, I would always have you.

I don't tell you nearly enough, but I will forever be thankful for you and the friendship we share.

Thank you for being here through every heartbreak, holding me while I cry, always having food for me, cuddling me when I want, sharing the same love for scary movies as me, letting me 3rd wheel all the time, holding my hair when I've had too much, letting me whine and complain to you about the same boy over and over again, (physically) picking me up when I'm down, never letting me feel like I'm not good enough, acting like a fool in public with me, never being embarrassed by how I look or act. Most importantly, thank you for being not only my cousin, but my best friend and older sister too.

I couldn't and wouldn't want to do this crazy thing we call life without you.