An Open Letter to the College Underachiever

To those wearied college souls

24
s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com

Dear College Underachiever,

I know that up to this point it has been relatively easy. What you lacked in academic skill, you made up for in talent, social skills, athletic ability, or charm. You've been able to sustain an unsustainable lifestyle for so long that you figured that it would make sense for you to continue going on this way. You've always been a big picture person, and would rather let someone else focus on day-to-day details. I get it, I truly do. It was supposed to remain this easy, but it didn't, and now you're worried.

You're worried about how you fit in. You're worried about whether you're actually smart, or if you're just really good at BS. You're involved in 500 different activities and not one of them is labeled "schoolwork". You have a hard time understanding that school is the reason you're in school. And you're asking yourself, "how can I stop myself from drowning?"

It doesn't help that you're black and that makes you feel out of place at times, or that so many people comment on your potential, so you feel like even more of an anomaly. It doesn't help that the people who raised you believe you're more special than you are, while the people around you barely notice how special you can be. It doesn't help that you hold the weight of your's and everyone else expectations on your back. But you know what does help? Knowing that it's okay.

It's okay to struggle and be thrown out of your element. It's okay to realize now that you have to work hard to do well. It's okay to understand that the way you live your life is unsustainable. You can have the desire to be better. In fact you should.

My dear college underachiever, don't feel sad about being sad. You need to let the pain go somehow. Everyone needs to cry or let it out somehow, it's fine. So let it out, be angry, be sad, do what you need in order to survive, as long as it's helping you to grow and not harming others. Release your pain don't become it.

My dear college underachiever, it's okay to only be involved 499 different clubs instead of the full 500. Take a step back and realize you're the priority. You have authority over your own life. It's okay to forget about your friends for a while. And finally it's okay to try. It's okay to care.

Dear College Underachiever,

There will be days and weeks and years when everything seems to be against you. When you're best doesn't seem good enough. But that doesn't give you the excuse not to aspire to be better. No one's asking you to overachieve, just be successful in the things you can do. Set your own limits, be with people who make you happy, and remember that college is just as much about your future as it is about the present.

Sincerely,

A Habitual College Underachiever.