An Open Letter: To the Breaks and Happy Things

An open letter on taking breaks and enjoying the happy things. Remember to give yourself room!

296

To the Breaks and Happy Things,

I just wanted to take a break from poetry and see how you are. Consider this an open letter on reminding you to check in with yourself.

As you are well aware, things continue to get weirder and more chaotic. There seems to be a long-standing question lately: "what is going on?"

The fact of the matter is, no one can really predict a solid answer to this, yet, I do hope that everyone is taking a moment to truly look after yourself and one another. The days seem to blend together and while it is easier said than done, please take time for 'you.'

Is there something that you were hoping to accomplish this week that doesn't seem to be able to happen right now? Maybe it's counting a novel or even a series you favor. A little something that brings you healthy clarity can prove to help your mood.

For myself, I have been stopping to think about the things that make me happy that I didn't realize I hadn't been doing anymore. Like, writing and learning a new language. I have found myself worrying about current events rather than focusing on what I can do to help myself grow.

While my two example may not seem like a big deal to anyone else, these are activities that keep my mind at ease and reduces the possibility of losing focus. Focus on not just that task, but also of who I am.

I know that sounds silly, but during theses times, I feel that nothing could be more imperative than self-care. This mixed with being kind and treasuring what goals you have for yourself.

I challenge you to do at least one thing over the next week that you feel you have fallen off of. Finishing that book or series most definitely counts! Build up that habit of taking breaks again and allowing yourself a chance to take it one solution to a problem at a time.

I hope everyone is able to see themselves in a slightly better mindset and with more energy than before. It will take some time, but I know you can get there.

Encouragingly,

Jessica