An Open Letter To The Binghamton University Library

Bartle will always hold a special place in my heart.

60
Flickr

Dear Glenn G. Bartle,

While in college, one of the biggest challenges I've had is separating fun and school. All of the sudden, school and hanging out with my friends were all in one place. I didn't have the same rigid schedule as I did in high school, and I needed structure. I quickly found that I couldn't concentrate in my dorm, surrounded by people and noise. This is where you come in.

You were there when I needed to focus. As a clueless freshman, I wandered around and discovered each floor. (To this day, there are spots I still haven't discovered.) I observed the various silence levels and moods, the different types of desks, and where you could find outlets in the walls. I learned how to use the printers on the first floor and figured out when was it was a good time to print.

We've spent many Saturday and Sunday afternoons together. I show up right after 12:00 pm, when you open, laser focused and ready to get to work. I take the elevator up to your highest floor, the fourth floor, and have my choice of the most popular desks. It's routine and I hate when I have an obligation that interrupts my flow. It's hard for me to focus on Saturday and Sunday nights, so I have to get my work done earlier in the day. Weekdays are hard. Weekends are usually the only days where I have multiple hours in a row free to do what I need to get done.

I'm one of your biggest fans, but I have a few problems with you sometimes. It really bothers me when people don't adhere to your rules. It's well known that your fourth floor (along with other specific rooms) is a silent study area, but some people talk anyway. This is irritating because I come to you for quiet when I really need to study and get things done. I choose a silent study area to be in silence, not listen to others chat with their friends. It also bothers me when people hold spots for hours so they are waiting for them when they come back. People will leave their backpacks and books on desks so that others don't claim them but not come back for hours. This just isn't fair.

Despite the challenges that you come with, I am very thankful that you exist. You're always there when I need you and I can count on you to give me the extra motivation I need when I'm in a slump. There's just something about sitting at one of your desks. You help me concentrate. I don't just sit on my phone. I'm productive, and I'm proud of myself when it's time to leave. I can relax when I get back to my apartment knowing that I got what I needed to get done.

Thank you, Bartle. I don't always say it, but I really appreciate all you've done for me.