An Open Letter to the Best Worst Coach I've Ever Had

Thank you for all you didn't do.

231
http://www.foxsports.com

Dear Former Coach,

I know we have not spoken in years and I am doubtful you will even come across this, but regardless, I am writing this merely for me. I am writing this for my progression. For my forgiveness. For my healing. And most importantly, for closure.

Perhaps even if you do view my letter you will be unaware of the relevance, failing to apprehend the everlasting impression you tattooed on me. But this is okay. I have come to terms with the fact you might never understand, that your hurtful actions unfortunately might be subconscious, and therefore acceptable to you. You might be blind to the emotional pain you caused and proceed to. Maybe you do not think you are in the wrong, and that is why your venomous words continue to sting. Or did something beyond my understanding occur to make you so bitter, so hostile towards the world? Nevertheless, I have a couple of departing words for you, coach.

Primarily, I want to begin by thanking you.

Thank you for not believing in me, therefore allowing me to develop personal belief in myself.

Thank you for not encouraging me, because I learned to become positive not only individually, but collectively to others.

Thank you for not supporting me, it taught me to stand strong in my morals.
Thank you for telling me I was not good enough, it encouraged me to work harder.

Thank you for belittling me, this assisted me to acquire a confidence from within, without endorsement from others.

Thank you for your immaturity, this will further pay off in life as I deal with tough situations concerning difficult people.

Thank you for taking the low road, because after these firsthand experiences, I strive to always be the bigger person.

Thank you for disliking me, I finally understood I cannot always please everyone no matter how hard I try.

Thank you for making me feel worthless, it took courage to see beyond the negativity and move on.

To conclude, I want to forgive you.

I forgive you for your disbelief in me, your bullying, your deceit, your immaturity. All of it. I know you did not ask for my mercy and you probably do not even want it, but I am giving it to you anyway.

I forgive you because through all the adversity I had to endure, I became a stronger and better version of myself.

I forgive you because you taught me important lessons, especially on what not to do and who not to become.

I forgive you because amidst all of wrong, it is the right thing to do.
Ultimately, I forgive you because all of the pain you put me through was worth it. You closed doors that I opened as opportunities. You made me feel invisible, to allow me to feel seen.

And finally, I forgive you for making me want to quit, for I realized every reason to keep going.

All of this, coach, is priceless.