An Open Letter To The Anxious PNM

An Open Letter To The Anxious PNM

Everything will work out how it is supposed to.

78
An Open Letter To The Anxious PNM
Instagram

Dear Potential New Member,

I know you may be nervous. In fact i'm almost positive you are, but I'm here to tell you not to be. If you have already signed up to go through recruitment I would like to start this article off by congratulating you, you have already made one of the best decisions of your life. The recruitment process is easily one of the most stressful things about freshman year, but it is also without a doubt worth it in the long run. Here are 13 pieces of advice to all the girls going through recruitment this upcoming fall:

1: Be yourself

I wanted to start with this one because it is 100% the most important thing to remember. If you do not usually wear make up, don't feel pressure to wear make up through the recruitment process. Whether you are the type of girl who chooses to wear the first round t-shirt with a skirt and bow in your hair or you choose to wear overalls and converse, don't be afraid to express yourself!

2: Don't be nervous

I know this one is easier said than done. Many people told me not to be nervous before I went through, but I couldn't help it. After being on both sides of recruitment, as a PNM and a recruiter for my sorority house, I would like to share a little secret: The girls who are recruiting you are more nervous than you are! Sounds crazy, I know, but its true! If you feel yourself starting to get nervous or feel awkward, remember that it is more than likely the person recruiting you's first time doing this too!

3: Keep an open mind

While going through recruitment this piece of advice is extremely important to remember. You may dislike a house the first day, but the next day you may fall in love with it. You may only love one house the first round but get let go from them the second round. Do not be too quick to jump to any conclusions and make any snap judgements about a house, or the girls in it. One of the great things about Greek Life is that each house is extremely diverse. Just because you don't click with one girl during recruitment doesn't mean you won't bond instantly with the girl who recruits you during the next round.

4: Don't let anyone influence your decision

Chose a house that makes you feel comfortable, wanted, and at home. Don't let anyone influence your decision because ultimately it is your decision. Just because one girl doesn't feel comfortable at the house you like best, doesn't mean you shouldn't choose that house. You have to follow your heart and chose based off of how you feel, not based off of how others may feel, or what they may say. Your opinion is the only one that matters when it comes to finding where you belong.

5: Don't be afraid to ask questions

When I was a recruiter, what stood out to me most was when a girl would give me a break from asking all the questions and ask me a question. Whether its about the sorority's philanthropy, or whether the girl you are talking with likes Taco Bueno or Taco Bell better, don't be afraid to ask a question. Have a couple of questions in mind to ask the girl you are talking with, this will also save you from any awkward pauses in the conversation. The more genuine and real the conversation is, the more memorable you will be to the girl recruiting you!

6: Take notes

When you go through recruitment, especially at a big school with a big Greek Life, it will more than likely be overwhelming. You will go to a lot of houses in a short amount of time the first round, so my advice is to take notes after every house. Write down things that will help you remember your experience. For example: the colors they wear, how the conversation went, how you felt being in the house, etc. It'll be nice to go back and read your notes to help remind you what houses you liked and felt comfortable in!

7: Don't forget to eat & drink lots of water

This might seem pretty self explanatory but it is super easy to forget during the hustle and bustle of recruitment. Make sure to pack yourself a few snacks throughout the day and take advantage of the time you get for lunch and dinner. Its also extremely important to drink lots of water. Recruitment often takes place during the hottest time of the year. I'm not going to lie, you will be hot and sweaty the majority of the time, so hydrate hydrate hydrate!

8: Get some sleep

Another tip that seems so simple but is often gets over looked. Falling asleep at night might seem nearly impossible during this process so here are a couple ways to get decent amount of sleep throughout your recruitment journey: Get in bed as soon as you can. Once you're in bed put your phone up! I know this one is hard to do, but it'll make falling asleep a lot easier, I promise. Lastly, if these two things do not work, try taking some melatonin. Melatonin is an all natural supplement that will help you fall asleep but won't make you feel groggy in the morning like other sleeping pills may!

9: Bring a comfy pair of shoes

During recruitment you will be walking a lot. The first round you will visit all of the houses, and most likely not in a convenient order. After the first round the numbers of houses you visit will vary and so will the times of each visit. There is a good chance you will have to go from North greek to South greek in a short amount of time so I advise you to be prepared to kick off your heels and slip on a pair of shoes you can run to the next house. If you forget to switch back into your nice shoes and end up wearing your Chacos, don't stress, it'll be a great conversation starter!

10: Bring a purse or bag

If you aren't a purse girl then bring a little draw string bag. Here are some ideas of things to put in said bag or purse: make up, oil pads, a hair brush, deodorant, a compact mirror, a small battery pack fan to cool you off, and a comfy pair of shoes I mentioned previously if there is room.

11: Look around you on pref night

When going through recruitment it is extremely easy to get caught up focusing on the girls who recruit you, but my advice is to look around you on pref night. Look at all the girls going through the recruitment process with you because they are the girls that will potentially be your pledge class sisters. These are the girls you will go to all of your new member meetings, sisterhood events, date parties, and football games with. These are the girls you will be the closest with, and you may even potentially live with them in the sorority house!

12: Call your mom when you can

If you are in need of some venting, or advice, be sure to call your mom. I can guarantee she's waiting by the phone wanting to hear all about it whether she went through recruitment herself, or not. Sometimes a talk with your momma is all you need to lift your spirits and give you a little perspective on things.

13: Stick with it

Some girls are lucky enough to get the house they loved since day one on bid day. Some girls may feel a little disappointed when they open up their bid day card and see a house they didn't pref. One thing I can say with full confidence is that everything happens for a reason, and sometimes its hard to see that right away, especially during an emotional time. My advice is to stick with it on bid day, regardless if you get the house you chose on pref night or not. I really want to encourage everyone who goes through this process to stick with it because you have absolutely nothing to lose but you have everything to gain!

I really hope these 13 pieces of advice will come in handy for all the anxious potential new members going through this seasons recruitment process. I can not stress enough how excited I am for you all to be going through this process and how hopeful I am that all of you will find your new homes and sisters that will last a life time! Yay for going Greek!!!