An Open Letter To Spring Breakers

An Open Letter To Spring Breakers

"I live where you vacation."
115

It's that time of year again where spring breakers far and local swarm to Fort Lauderdale beach, specifically Beach Place, for a spring break take over. For years I've seen the countless Instagram photos of fish bowls from LuLu's or Fat Tuesday cups, makeshift beer pong tables made of sand, and even the impossible of seeing a public beach shut down. Yet every year we have the same issue, an abundance of trash is left on my local beach. To be quite honest, "an abundance" might even be an understatement.

From one spring breaker to another, clean up after yourself. We're all trying to have a grand ole time at the beach and forget that the following week we have that really important midterm but it's no excuse to trash the place I call home. You travel all the way down to the beautiful beaches I call home and you leave your red solo cups, aluminum beer cans, and miscellaneous trash that is not biodegradable and harmful to the marine life.

C'mon, we're all old enough to grasp the concept that we should keep our planet clean; It's 2018 and it's more important than ever to protect the very planet we live on, our beaches especially. It's as simple as recycling, taking a trash bag with you and dumping all your trash there, or using one of the local trash bins located on the beach. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that you don't litter or trash a place you're visiting, it's basic mannerisms.

Do us all a favor, if you're not going to respect the place I call home and pick up after yourself––don't bother coming at all. I'm sick of seeing the aftermath on the news every year of the mounds of trash college students leave behind. I'm sick of seeing the trash mixed in the sand and water. I'm sick of seeing marine life suffer for your party fouls. Enough is enough and it starts with you and your crew picking up after yourself. Despite what you may think, it's not the lifeguards, hotel, or a volunteer group to pick up after your trash. It's your job.