A Thank You Letter To Bernie Sanders

A Thank You Letter To Bernie Sanders

To the man whose movement changed me

7
A Thank You Letter To Bernie Sanders
UTLA

Dear Senator Sanders,

First and foremost, I would like to thank you for reshaping parts of my life during your 2016 campaign for the presidency. Prior to your run, I had never paid much attention to politics; I used to just accept what was happening in Washington, as well as whatever happened in my local government without question. Now it is quite the opposite; I do my own research on members running for office, and thanks to the moral affect your movement had on me, I will always vote according to my conscience and for the good of everyone around me. You opened my eyes to the vast inequalities and problems in this country, and I thank you dearly for it. You showed me that people are really being as second class citizens by those who have the wealth they believe makes them better than everyone else, and that it is time for this to change. Because of your passion to your beliefs, I find myself with the same amount of intensity when defending what policies I believe in.

Politics aside, I believe you have become a positive influence on the person I try to be in life. Reading your books, listening to your speeches, and watching amateur videos taken of you made me realize that you are no typical politician. You are just as real in your everyday life, very down to earth. As my dad even said, you seem more approachable than any other politician, and someone he could see himself "just having a beer with, and talking to." Watching the video of you going trick or treating with your grandchildren was heartwarming, and to me, was a sure sign of a person with a good heart. Whereas our president may have done the same to sway public appeal, it seemed to me that you were only spending time with your grandchildren. You inspire me to be a better person, as I believe you truly are a superb example of what people should strive to be.

Senator Sanders, I really want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for changing my life. In times like these, in which our president has shown he cares not for the environment, the wealth equality for Americans, or shared rights for everyone, I believe that it's important to have role models. You are a beacon to what politicians and people alike should aspire to be. Thank you for standing up to the 1%, the pharmaceutical companies, and anyone whose political power is bought by another. Thank you for standing up for us. Thank you for the influence that you have had on my life.

Jacob Evans