An Open Letter To People Without A Talent

"Maybe we all have little magics, the kind that you don't realize you have."

112
Mulet_Arts & Recreation in UT

To the person who doesn't feel special,

Low self-esteem has become a norm in our society which often stems from comparing yourself to others. Low self-esteem affects a lot of people but is most prevalent in young girls’ lives. Most of the time when we talk about insecurities, it’s about physical appearance but what doesn’t get enough recognition is self-hatred stemming from lack of intelligence, talents, or abilities. When I was younger I made straight A’s and thought relatively high of myself. As I got older, I started comparing myself to my peers and my self-worth plummeted. My friends were incredibly smart and had a lot of friends; they could play sports, music, or draw. I couldn’t do any of those things. I loved them so I thought everything they did was amazing. Reflecting back, I realized they were probably just as self-critical as I was. But at the time, I felt so mediocre at everything I did and it took me years to break that way of thinking. Since then, I learned a few things. We all have something, whether we realize it or not. I am talented. Cats love me, I’m the “mom friend”, and know hundreds of history facts. I know it doesn’t seem like much but in my personal experience, it was really assuring just knowing there was something out there that made me special. So to all of you who don’t think you’re good at anything, you are still special and you do have talents. You just have to find out what it is. Don’t let the world make you believe you don’t.

Sincerely,

A person who believes in you.