An Open Letter To My RA

An Open Letter To My RA

It's been one crazy ride, but we survived.

101
An Open Letter To My RA
Kyle Perry

To my RA,

It is hard to believe the semester is about to end. Classes are almost over for the both of us and in a few short weeks, your term as my Resident Assistant (RA) will be over. I will be moving out of the dorm, and you will be making sure that none of us destroyed our rooms. I promise the desk drawer already had the writing inside of it when I moved in.

After six o’clock on the Friday of finals week, we will not be neighbors. There will be no more movie nights in the lobby or hall gatherings at Potter’s House. After the second week of May, our time as resident and RA will have come to a close. From the day I moved into our upcoming last day, we have had one crazy ride. From bathrooms that just don’t work right to residence hall competitions—we have been through it all.

You had several new residents this semester, and one of them happened to be me. I had been a commuter student before moving on campus, and you made sure that I was able to immerse myself into the residence life. You took a vested interest in me, just like you have done with all of your other residents, and I appreciate it.

It may have been your job to know your residents, but you have gone above and beyond. Whether it be a hall party for Valentine’s Day, or a spontaneous get together at your favorite place (Potter’s House) you have striven to make sure all of your residents felt included. This is my appreciation for all that you have already done and for everything you will do for your future residents.

I realize that we have little in common, except for living in the same dorm. I am a business major without an ounce of artistic ability while you are finishing your junior seminar in art this semester. You knew that Greek life was not for you, and I knew that Greek life was for me. These differences are what make our relationship real and unique. I would have never guessed that you and I would get along, but we do. It is your ability as an RA to find a connection with everyone, and you have done a splendid job.

The end of the semester is just about here, and you know more about me than I do about you. I apologize for not learning more about you. I also want you to know that it may not always seem like it, but I care just as much about you as you do about me. Everyone has an RA, but few are lucky to have one like you. Since I may not tell you often enough, I want you to know how wonderful I think you are. You are amazing! To many, you are just another student on a small liberal arts campus, but to me you are much more than that.

You are a confidant, a mentor, a hero and a person that inspires me. Your impact on me during your time as an RA is tremendous, but it is in the small moments where you shine. The smile you give to another student, the food you make and share, or when you say hello, all these moments make you exceptional. With your creativity and your passion for everyone, you are the Drury difference. You are an RA.

Sincerely,

Your resident