An Open Letter To My Parents As I Go Off To College

I owe you both the world.

11
Sophia Morin

Your parents or guardians have seen you hop on your first bus ride of kindergarten year to your final walk across the stage of graduation. They've seen your first steps and your final steps out of their sight as you walk away to college. You owe them everything as they've pushed you to your limits, loved you at your lowest, and seen you accomplish more than the world could ever imagine.

Dear Mom & Dad,

For all my ups and downs in life, you've never failed to be by my side. As there is a first for everything, this first is one I feel fully prepared for. The first time not having you by my side everyday is one we may never had prepared for, but one we have to adjust to. You as my parents have shaped me into who I am today, and I have no doubt that I can take this step on my own.

I'd like to take the next few minutes thanking you for these past seventeen years of extreme happiness, and extreme frustration that you've both gone through. I couldn't imagine raising me the way you both did, but that goes to show how wonderful you both are as parents. I show my mistakes and I live from them but never once did you guys judge me, thank you. Thank you for letting me live out my dreams every summer and showing me the world whenever you could. For claiming you weren't "Made of money" but always helping me out when I needed it. For always pushing me in school to be the best I could be so I could have a better future for myself. Finally, thank you for every time you had to pick me up and tell me everything was going to be ok. It's never easy to tell me everything is ok when I'm a wreck and can't talk myself out of it, but somehow you never fail to make me feel safe.

You have no idea the vast amount of emotions that will be running through my mind on move in day, but just know that I wouldn't have gotten there without you both. I know I can always count on you when I'm alone, or too tired to think straight. I know I can call you whenever I need a pep talk or whenever I want to FaceTime my furry friends. I always admit that I'll miss the dogs the most but I think I may miss you both more. Your hugs will be missed, your consistent motivation will be missed, and our rare family drives will be missed even more. Please just know that wherever you are will always be home, and everyone always comes back home at some point, (So please don't turn my room into an Air B&B rental...)

I owe you everything for making me who I am today, and turning me into an adult whose ready to tackle everything on her own for the first time ever. Thank you for teaching me how to be a commendable parent myself for one day in the future. I love you both way up to the sky and back again, thank you so much.

XOXO,

The Bird Ready to Leave the Nest