An Open Letter To My Hometown Best Friend

No goodbye is ever easy.

11
my own image

They say that if you’ve been friends with someone for more than seven years that you’ll be friends for life. So then what does it mean when you’ve been friends with someone for fourteen years? I guess that means that between you and I, we’ve well surpassed that. We’ve surpassed a hell of a lot more than that. And I guess more would be all the time we spent in our hometown going to school together, attending Friday night football games together, countless study sessions together, basketball games, dances, assemblies- you name it, we were there.

So here it is, the hard part: I’m leaving again. I guess it’s maybe something that we should now be used to seeing as we both go to different schools, have new friends and entirely new lives from the ones we once lived in the town we both grew up in. I mean naturally this should all be true but I can’t help but feel more sad than usual as I get ready to head back to school- partly because I’m leaving my home, but also because I’m leaving you.

Goodbyes are never easy. There truthfully is no “good” in “goodbye”. There is nothing that can be proven as cheerful or happy when it comes to saying goodbye to someone that you love. Especially if that someone is one of the best friends you will ever have in your entire life.

We’ve known each other for longer than I could ever remember. You know everything about me and I know everything about you. We’ve grown up together and we’ve lived life together, and now, just as Rory and Lane did on Gilmore Girls, were off to college and creating new lives for one another. Some things are exactly the way they have been since we became friends, and yet a lot has changed and a lot is very different than we ever thought possible.

For once in our lives, three blocks no longer separate our houses. Instead, 1,000 miles lie between us. We’ve grown up and moved on from high school and all the years that lay before that. We’ve conquered applying to colleges, graduation and moving to new cities, and I can honestly still say that saying goodbye to you at the end of each summer is one of the hardest things I have ever and will ever have to do.

There is no easy way to say goodbye to one of your best friends, nor is there any easy way to go back to a school that is 1,000 miles away. There is no easy way to realize that we only get to see each other so many times each year and there is also no easy way to live without a person that up until now, you’ve spent every single day with. But, though we’ve made different friends, created different lives and moved on from everything we’ve ever known back home, we still have each other.

Though I have to say goodbye again, just always remember and always know, that I’ll always be with you, and you’ll always be my best friend.