An Open Letter To My High School Friends

Just because we are at different colleges, doesn't mean we aren't still besties.

13

Dear Mis Amigas,

I am going to start by saying congratulations to all of us for making it to our second semester of college. I hope your first week was great, and you are all excited to get back to it. It was absolutely wonderful seeing each and every one of you over the winter break. I think it is a really beautiful thing that we just picked up right where we left off. It didn’t even feel like for the past few months we had been so many miles apart.

As much as I am enjoying college (and I hope you all are too), I do have moments where I really miss walking down the high school halls and seeing your lovely faces. We can all agree that high school was tedious, but I always knew that all of you would make even my toughest days something to smile about.

I’m about to get emotional, so prepare, but how many times do I get to write a letter to all o,f you? The one real thing I wanted to say in this letter is thank you for being my best friends. It is truly as simple as that. Thank you for having my back, making me laugh and helping me survive those awful IB classes (IB is love, IB is life). High school was a roller coaster of so very low lows, but you were all part of my highest highs. When graduation came around I could not have been happier to be standing by your sides knowing that I ended my high school career with the right people.

Summer had been a blur of concerts, plenty of Panera dates and late-night talks. Despite all of us having jobs and other responsibilities, we still found time for one another. For the longest time, I was in a state of knowing we would all be separating to different schools, but I never truly accepted it. Honestly, none of it really got to me until the first of us left. The only one going out of state, and let’s be real here everyone, the one who was the most prepared for this whole college thing out of all of us. I remember getting in my car and having a silent ride home: 23 minutes of quiet, just thinking about the past few years. I went home and cried for a bit. I know I always tried putting on a brave face, but I fully admit I was more than terrified for what college was going to bring me.

Move-in day for me came and went, and then it registered that it was time for college. While I was scared that we would lose touch, all of you, of course, proved me wrong. There were Skype dates, long phone calls and of course, our lovely group chats. Months passed, and it was finally Thanksgiving. I had been nervous to see all of you again. In a few short months, I knew we had all grown so much and things had changed (one of us even got a boyfriend), but there you guys were proving me wrong again. After an immense number of hugs, we sat around and swapped stories of our college adventures. I remember feeling almost at peace, because I knew I was home.

I know that we are all struggling to find our path in life. College has been confusing and a brand new adventure for all of us. I believe though, that all of you are going to do great things as you continue to grow and accomplish your goals. I miss you all terribly, but we can make it through anything. Good luck to all of you on your second semester. I hope it is filled with happiness and there is a new adventure around every corner. If you ever need anything, remember we are all here for one another. Stay in touch. Thanks for being the best friends a girl could ask for. I love you all so much. I am counting the days until our reunion.

Stay Beautiful,

The Fifth Member

P.S. The "Friends" GIFs were on purpose.