An Open Letter To My Grandparents

An Open Letter To My Grandparents

One day I wish to have a heart as gentle, kind, and relentlessly loving as yours.

2036
An Open Letter To My Grandparents

To my Grandparents,

From diapers and Barbies, and a diet that consisted solely of chicken tenders and apple juice, to Crayons and a craft box, to softball bats and my first cell phone, to cocktail dresses and Friday night football games, to a driver’s permit and braces, to a license and a boyfriend- to then becoming the woman I am today, I am so lucky to have gotten the chance to have grown up with you in my life. And because of that, I owe you a huge thank you. Because of you, I have always known what it is like to have an endless support system. Because of you, I’ve always had my own cheerleading squad and shoulders to lean on.

Thank you for always being the people that answer my phone calls on the very first ring, and the people that worry endlessly about me while I live each and every day on my own. No, I am not starving when the dining hall closes earlier than when I could get to it; Grandma and Grandpa, I am most definitely steering clear from boys. Even your most irrational fears seem possible to you, and with that, I am happy to assure you that you’ve helped raise a woman who is capable and strong enough to handle it.

Thank you for being people who have reminded me that age is just a number, and at heart, you’re still young and living your lives to the fullest. Thank you for always saying ‘yes’ when mom says ‘no,’ and thank you for offering me your perspectives on all my life decisions. Especially, whether or not I should have another slice of Grandpa’s chocolate cream pie.

Thank you for laughing with me- for your laughs are ones I get sad about when I remember that I am not lucky enough to have enough time with you as my parents did. But a laugh that reminds me that I am getting to make some of my best and favorite memories with you.

Thank you for forgiving the little girl that stomped her feet up your staircase when I didn’t get my way and thank you for still calling me the following week when I was short with you the week before. Thank you for telling me what I need to hear when I need to hear it, and for telling me your thoughts even when I don’t necessarily want to listen.

I give you credit for not wanting to disown me over the number of times I’ve rolled my eyes, pouted, and been stubborn with you. I sometimes find it hard to believe that you still love me the way you do after all of the attitude and brattiness that I brought into your life the day I turned five years old.

I thank you for my childhood and for always being my hand to hold on to. I appreciate you always hanging my ugliest of drawings on your walls as if I am the next Picasso or Van Goh, and for pinning my most horrific school photos on your refrigerator. I thank you for always making me feel beautiful, and for reminding me to wear tons of sunscreen wherever I go, no matter how cloudy it’s going to be that day. I thank you for teaching me to be patient and how to appreciate the little things like a day it’s sunny or a day that we are able to go outside without a jacket on.

I look at you as if you put the stars in the sky, and to this day, I feel the same way. I know I am guilty of being impatient with you. Whether it’s for not always understanding Facebook and texting, and technology in general- or what today’s lingo means. Nonetheless, your calls of confusion and your plea for my help is my reminder that now, It is my turn to help you.

I thank you for being an example to my mom and dad, and for continuing to be people I aspire to become just like one day. I appreciate your love and your patience, and your ability to turn each and every experience into a learning one. I thank you for your unconditional love, your example of who I want to be just like when I grow up, and for offering your experiences and mistakes to teach me what I should and should not do.

To my grandparents, thank you for being you.

Love always,

Me