An Open Letter to My Friend Who Passed Away

Things I never had the chance to say

73658
Meredith Bennett

To my friend who passed away,

I want you to know that I think of you every day. I want you to know that I miss you more than anything, and I would give anything to talk to you one last time. I still remember the last time that I saw you. You were leaving for home, and I begged you not to leave. I told you that I would miss you so much and that I knew it would be a while until I saw you again. For some reason, when I hugged you, I felt like it would be the last time I saw you. Looking back now, I wish I would have spent more time with you, shared more stories with you, and made more memories.

You were the happiest person I knew. I only saw you upset one time in your whole life, and every other time you were smiling the brightest smile I've ever seen. I look at old pictures and videos I have saved of our memories, but it's just not the same, but I know you are happy still. Although it is cliché, I know you are in a better place.

This year has been so hard for me, and so much has happened, but I know you have guided me in the right direction. Somehow, you still influence my life, even if you aren't here. I can't even count the amount of times I needed to talk to you, to call you, because you were the only person I knew would understand my problems or situations I was going through.

I was lucky enough to not experience the death of a loved one until you left my life, but losing someone as precious and perfect as you was the hardest thing I ever had to deal with. All of my accomplishments and achievements since that day have been because of you because I constantly ask myself what you would do whenever I am faced with a tough situation. I know if you were here you would say I am being ridiculous for being so sad, you would laugh at me and tell me to be positive, and you would drive me around in your car, blasting music.

There is a song that came out a few months after you left, and I know you would have loved it so much. I wish I would have been able to show it to you. I'm also sorry for never painting the canvas you wanted, but I painted one a few months ago anyway because I know you would've wanted me to. I wish I had all the pictures of us that you hoarded on your phone, and I wish I could remember that one thing I said that made you spit out your water across the room.

I want you to know that I remember your laugh, your stories, and your tattoo. I remember the way we felt when we realized we were the same person when we decided to be each others bridesmaids, and when we were nervous for the first day of college. I wish I would have FaceTimed you when you asked me to, and I wish I would have visited you like I said I would. I know that doesn't matter anymore, but I thought I would let you know.

So, I just miss you. Thank you for being the most influential person I've ever met, for accepting and loving everyone, and for being someone that impacted the lives of so many. You will never be forgotten.