An Open Letter to Incoming College Freshmen (From a Second Semester Senior)

Are you ready for the next 4 years?

15
University of Illinois

Hello,

I bet you're pretty excited (maybe a little nervous or anxious) about moving on. Regardless, I bet you're ready to throw your graduation cap up in the air, leave your washed up hometown, get away from your parents and finally be an adult (well sort of). You're moving on to a new and exciting chapter of your life; college. Firstly, I want to say congratulations. You did it. You're following your dreams and moving on. That is awesome. Secondly, I have been there and want to give you some advice. Do what you will with it but here is what I want you to know:

High School Won't Be the Best Days of Your Life:

Okay, this one was clear to me. High school was fun but by the time I got to senior year I was ready to get out. Most of my friends were older and graduated before me and I spent my senior year counting down the days to graduation. Maybe this isn't the case for you. Maybe you spent senior year surrounded by your closest friends. Maybe you were homecoming queen or your sport won districts. All of that is great but the best is yet to come. Don't let yourself "peak in high school". Never stop growing. You have come so far but still have a long way to go.

Get Involved, Seriously:

On that note, try new things. College is a great place to do this because of the variety of extracurricular activities and opportunities that are available to you. Getting involved as soon as you can is a great way to make the transition easier. Try a new sport like fencing like fencing or martial arts, volunteer at an animal shelter, study abroad, find your passion. You will meet some great people along the way too. I promise.

Balance Work and Fun:

You'll most likely be away from your parents for the first time and partying may be tempting. Have fun but be safe and stay focused on why you are at school in the first place. Life is all about balance.

Take Every Opportunity

Try and get some work-related experience. There is only so much a textbook can teach you about your hopeful career path. Do some job shadowing, take a job related to your field (such as a CNA for nursing majors or a security guard for criminology majors) or obtain an internship. You never know who you will meet or what you will learn in the process. Besides providing experience and a resume builder, doing this may even result in a job offer. So as you embark on the next phase of your life keep this in mind. Have fun and find out what you want. Make the most out of the next 4 years!