An Open Letter To David Becker

An Open Letter To David Becker

I am glad you get to enjoy your college experience.

13
An Open Letter To David Becker
NY Times

David,

Earlier this summer, social media was filled with the story of Brock Turner. Remember him? He is a really good swimmer, I've heard. So good apparently that he was able to avoid much jail time over a small mistake he made while drunk at a party. What was this small mistake? He raped an unconscious woman. That isn't so bad, right? You can understand that. His father did not seem to think it was so bad either. He didn't deserve any jail time because according to his father, “His life will never be the one that he dreamed about and worked so hard to achieve. That is a steep price to pay for 20 minutes of action out of his 20-plus years of life.” Pay no mind to the fact that the woman he raped will be traumatized and her life will never be the same. But of course, Brock only raped one woman so we should be sympathetic; it was all because of the party culture of the college. Because apparently every male who drinks ends up raping a woman. They don't know that it's wrong. Well, you apparently knew rape was wrong, you apologized over text the next day. When all was said and done, Brock was served with six months of jail time in a private cell, even though most other inmates have to double up in cells, but guess what? He will only have to serve four months of the six-month sentence. But even with that, it looks like he got off a bit worse than you.

You managed to completely avoid jail and were only put on a two-year probation yesterday for sexually assaulting two of your classmates after a party while they were sleeping. Oh, but that's right--you apologized. Your attorney said that “We all made mistakes when we were 17, 18, 19 years old. Putting this kid in jail for two years would have destroyed this kid’s life.” There it is again, in different words than Brock's father, but the meaning is still the same; raping and sexually assaulting someone is just a small mistake. Nothing too horrible about it. No matter if the girls are traumatized, all that matters is that you and Brock can still enjoy your lives and stay out of jail. Even though prosecutors asked for you to receive a two-year jail sentence after you raped both women and admitted to it, the judge decided that you didn't deserve something that harsh, instead, you deserved to be able to attend college. You don't even have to register as a sex offender. How the heck does that work? Oh wait, you played three sports in high school and, like Brock, are financially well off. I guess if you have enough money why should the law apply to you. I mean, it would just be unfair for jail to ruin your whole life like you did those girls.

Since when does athleticism and money make you above the law? When did affluenza become a justifiable reason for a crime? Because you have money, you can not handle the consequences of your actions? Three women's lives will be changed and there is no real justice being served. "It was one mistake," is not a legitimate excuse either. You do not deserve to have the "college experience." You assaulted someone and were able to get away with it even though you were found guilty without a doubt simply because you have money and could afford to pay in cash rather than time. Jail might make your life suck for two years but what about those women? Don't you think they are going to have a hard time going back to normal after what you did? But hey, at least you get to enjoy college. Why don't you do the rest of us a favor and don't do the crime if you can't do the time? Another woman would hate to jeopardize your college experience by being raped.