An Open Letter To College Students Graduating In 2017

Here's to us, here's to our last semester!

13
Huffington Post

Dear Class of 2017 College Student,

It may seem like just yesterday that you started your freshman year of college, or it may seem like eternities ago. You may feel ready and excited to move onto the next phase of your life, or you might not have a clue what in the world you are meant to do. No matter what you’re feeling, your undergraduate years are slowly coming to an end. For the first time in your short life, you are going out into the real world with endless possibilities laid out in front of you. The Class of 2017 is made up of people from different backgrounds, hometowns, or majors who are being released into the real world together.

During your last semester, take some time to reflect back on your college years. It may not seem like it at a glance, but you have grown and learned so much over the past three and a half years. You have become a stronger global citizen, with fresh ideas and perspectives. You are becoming an expert in your field, ready to serve the community in which you choose to live. You have learned more about yourself-- your morals, your values, and your passions.

Although the last semester of your undergraduate career is sure to be a stressful one, don’t forget to sit back and enjoy the ride sometimes. Join a club that you’ve always wanted to but never made time for. Go out with friends and be crazy. Make mistakes and make memories. Skip class and go on a weekend getaway. You can’t just opt out of your career without consequences, so take full advantage while you still can!

Just as importantly, remember that you are about to be part of the next group of young adults released into the world and that you are part of the next group to hold government positions, teach kids, care for the sick, and so much more. You are part of the next batch of college students fresh out of university who can make a difference. Therefore, take some time also to think about the mark you want to leave in the professional world, and in your new community wherever that may be. Think about what you will do with the experiences you gained during four years of undergraduate school to make the world a better place.

No matter how you are feeling going into this final semester, know that you are exactly where you need to be. You’ve made it this far because you love what you are preparing to do in school and you are capable of doing it. You’ve made it this far because you made new friends and shared countless memories with them. College may be slowly coming to an end, but the possibilities for your future are only just beginning. Plan ahead for the next step, and enjoy the present moment.

With love,

Another Class of 2017 College Student