An Open Letter To Celebrities
Politics

An Open Letter To Celebrities

You may think you're helping, but you're not.

425
An Open Letter To Celebrities

I know you probably think you're doing the right thing by standing up for what you believe in and voicing your own beliefs, views, and opinions. But please stop.

I hate that I have to say this, but being publicly petty doesn't actually make you more popular. You say that if a certain presidential candidate wins, you're leaving the country. But why would you leave the country that allows you to get up on stage, accepting an award and disgrace our nation's president in front of the entire world? If anything, by opening your mouth and disrespecting our new president and his millions of supporters, you make people who used to be your biggest fans suddenly lose respect for you. Also, as a celebrity, you claim to be a role model for "the children," but do you really want these kids to see their role model throwing a tantrum on national television for the entire world to see? Just because the presidential candidate you liked didn't win the election and you're heavily in the public eye, doesn't mean you get to abuse the platform your fans have provided you. I know you may find this hard to believe, but your fans consist of Donald Trump supporters, Hilary Clinton supporters, Christians, Muslims, Whites, Blacks, etc. When you publicly take a stand against one group or another, you have offended your fans.

I think you have the best of intentions when it comes to voicing your own beliefs, but using your platform to voice your own political or social opinions doesn't help anybody. I know you want to be a voice for the people who don't have one, and all that good stuff, but by taking stances during national controversies, you simultaneously box out an entire group of your supporters. You think that because you're famous your opinion matters more than the rest of America?

You claim to want unity in America, yet you stand on stage and publicly renounce our nation's highest leader. You refuse to perform at his inauguration. During the election, you said that you would leave America if he won, and still you claim to want unity. I guess you aren't aware of what that word actually means.

The only way to get this country to unite is for you to stop acting like children. Be professional. I'm sure you don't like working with some fellow actors, actresses, singers, writers, producers, but still, you do it. You make that movie, you sing that song, and you work with them anyway. Donald Trump may not be your chosen candidate, but believe it or not, he is your president.