A Letter To Betsy DeVos: Public Education Is Important Too

Why should we be afraid for the future education system of America?

27
EMMA MARGOLIN via NBC News

On January 17, 2017, Betsey DeVos sat in front of members of the United States Senate having ONE job. This was to prove that she would be deemed fit to take on the position as the U.S. Secretary of Education. Unfortunately, Ms. DeVos failed miserably at doing so. I'm not sure how others feel, but to me, receiving a top-notch education is very important. Nelson Mandela once stated "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." How will this happen if we are never given the equal opportunity to seek a quality education?

The mission of the Department of Education is to promote student achievement and preparation for global competitiveness by fostering educational excellence and insuring equal access.

Dear Ms. DeVos,

You have never attended nor have you ever sent your children to public schools, but yet you seem to be very highly opinionated of them. Unfortunately, not every child in the United States was born with a silver spoon in his or her mouth and is fortunate enough to be sent to a "private school." I spent grades K-12 attending public schools and it seems to be that I turned out just fine. Why spend thousands of dollars on the same education you may receive at a public school for free? It just doesn't make sense.

Every year, students are required to sit in overcrowded classrooms with outdated textbooks while expected to learn about today's world. What exactly are you trying to prove by defunding public schools? The United States thrives on public schooling. Many successful people such as doctors, lawyers, and nurses took advantage of a free education to learn what they needed to know to become successful. Sorry to tell you, but you're actually hurting children and their education, not helping. It's not fair to the teachers or students.

Thousands of teachers in public schools around the world wake up every morning with a drive to teach ALL kids who are eager to learn, regardless of ethnicity, sex or learning disability. If education is a basic right, then why should it be "left up to the states" to determine if special education requirements should be met? Regardless of a child's learning disability he or she should still be treated as a student seeking education. Put yourself in the place of a child or the parent of a child who has special needs. Wouldn't you want your child to be treated the same as other children and have an equal opportunity at receiving an education? I would hope so.

Last but not least, you've spoken very little about higher education. Every year, thousands of students struggle to pay for college, forcing them to go through Financial Student Aid programs for student loans to cover tuition. Because loans are most students' only option, they are often left thousands of dollars in debt upon graduation. Does this bring to you any kind of concern? Probably not, because both you and your children "were fortunate enough not to have to take out student loans." During questioning with Senator Elizabeth Warren you stated that "you had no history managing loans or running a bank." The last two chief operating officers for federal student aid programs at least had a degree in math or business.

Will you put aside pride and take into consideration the actual importance of education and the effect it has on our future? Only time will tell.

Sincerely,

A Concerned College Student Seeking An Education