An Open Letter to My Best Friend's Mom

An Open Letter to My Best Friend's Mom

A letter to my (practically) second mother.

2466
An Open Letter to My Best Friend's Mom
Sandy Haight Illustration

Hi Mom!

Let me just start by saying thank you. Thank you for letting me become a part of your family. Thank you for allowing your daughter to become my best friend. Thank you for always accepting me and loving me as though I were one of your own. Nothing will ever replace the feeling of having a second family to go to in times of need or frustration. Thank you.

I will forever cherish the many nights spent at your house staying up late at night and being obnoxious, but you never tarnished our fun. I truly appreciate all of the times you’ve sent me home with a full stomach and a full heart and allowed me to have a mile-wide smile on my face. I also love how whenever the family got invited to an event, I was expected to attend as well, it made me feel loved and wanted. So thank you.

Thank you for raising such amazing kids that are like siblings to me, especially my best friend. Having people to hang out with on the weekends, watch stupid movies with, and obsess over crappy punk-pop bands with is something that I have always held dear. No one else quite understand me like you and your kids do because at your house I was allowed to be my true, unedited, uncensored self. I am so genuinely appreciative of that.

Also, being that I spend so much time with your family, you’ve also become a role model for me. You have allowed me to act intelligently and with grace in times of trouble and confrontation. You and your family have always provided a safe space for me to vent, veg out, and be completely me. Nothing can ever replace the feeling of packing my bags and heading over for a sleepover (which eventually turned into like a straight week of me staying over.)

Finally, thank you for supporting me and shaping me into the person i am today just like my loving mother. Without such strong role models in my life, I don’t know who I’d be or where my life would be going.

Only the absolute very best,

Your daughter’s best friend (aka, your other daughter)