An Open Letter To An Unexpected Friend

An Open Letter To An Unexpected Friend

For the best friend I never thought I would make

4645
An Open Letter To An Unexpected Friend
Megan Jones

Dear Mason,

I’ve got to be honest, I never thought we would be friends. Especially not like we are today.

Here I am thinking about just how strange it is that we haven't been friends for very long. That seems mind-blowing to me because of how well you can always see right through me. I’ve never been a very transparent person, but you always take time to listen to anything I have to say, and I mean anything, so it didn’t take you long to learn my ins and outs. At any point and time I could text you and you would drop everything (yes even video games) to make sure I had someone to talk to.

“Do not judge, and you will not be judged.” Luke 6:37

You’re never quick to judge, so for that, I’d like to apologize. I always just assumed we came from completely different worlds, and never even considered being friends with you. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not like I actively denied all chances of ever being friends with you, but I sure as heck didn’t think we’d ever be as close as we are. Who ever thought I would be best friends with my boyfriend’s best friend?

I never would’ve guessed it, but I’m glad I was wrong.

“Rejoice with them that do rejoice, and weep with them that weep.” Romans 12:15

Your ability to be emotional is something I’ve been grateful for since day one. The first time we had a serious heart-to-heart, I immediately knew you were meant to be in my life as my best friend. You’ve given me endless support when I’m drowning myself in tears, and when I need someone to give me a confidence boost. You’re not afraid to bear your soul to someone, and one day you’ll find a woman who was made to have that in her life. Don’t worry, I don’t think you’re a cry baby, but if this makes you cry….let’s just say I definitely won’t be surprised.

“I can do all this through him who gives me strength.” Philippians 4:13

You’re strong. And not in the, “dude, how much can you dead lift way?” or the “I’ll fight you” type of way. Even though I threaten to fight you on the daily. You’re a mentally and spiritually strong person. I’ve met many people who seemed to have it all together and make it look easy. But that isn’t hard at all. What’s hard is not having it all together and still making it look easy. That’s you. You’re constantly amazing me with the way you pick yourself up and move beyond adversity. When you want something, you work your ass off to get it. You’ll be playing Major League Baseball one day, and I’ll own like 5 Rodriguez jerseys. It’ll be great.

“When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom.” Proverbs 11:2

Yes, like on the daily you tell me how you could beat me in every single competition known to man, but under all your male bravado, you’re an insanely humble person. You never fail to put others before yourself, and you are never afraid to put aside your pride and apologize when you need to. Even though I’m a sassy pain in the butt and get way more upset at things than I should. Your humility will never cease to amaze me and inspire me to be better with it myself.

“And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.” 1 Corinthians 13:13

I’ve been exposed to a lot of religious people in my lifetime, but I’ve never been more impressed by someone so young, having such a strong faith base. You’re always quick to say, God didn’t want it to be, so it wasn’t. The amount of hope and faith that you have in God is one of the most inspiring things I’ve ever encountered. I could never explain how much it means to me to have that kind of influence in my life. And of course, love. If anyone ever fit the description of being a giant teddy bear, it’s you. You love with everything you have, and you’d do anything to protect what you love. You’re never afraid to put your heart on the line, and that is one of the manliest things I think a man can do.

I feel like there is so much that I haven't said, but I’ll give you a rest with the sappy stuff after I leave you with one last thing.

Thank you for being my best friend, Mason Rodriguez. You came out of nowhere and I could not be happier that you did.

Ily.

Moog

P.s. If you try to tell me that any of this isn’t true….bet.