An Open Letter To All The People Who Are Always Asking Me For Advice

I am here for you.
618

There are always those people who go prodding and poking around in other people's lives because they just live for the drama. We all know them. We all regret as soon as we share a sliver of ourselves to them. They are those people that you can always find out the latest gossip and usually it is accurate because these people survive on other people's information.

I am not one of those people. And if you can clearly point out someone in your life after reading that, chances are, you aren't either. However, I am one of those people with a friendly face and sympathetic but tough demeanors. I also have been through the ringer on life experiences, so naturally people are drawn to talk to me about things. I have no problem with this, and I try my very best to support everyone that I can. I am thankful that people see me as a comforting ear and that they are actually talking to at least one person about their struggles, but I have some words to add for them.

First, I would like to thank you for looking to me for advice and caring support. Really it means a lot. I can be trusted, but you already know that if you're asking me. Know that while everyone does go through struggles, yours are unique to you, and only you can genuinely feel them and determine your emotions. If you are asking for advice on class schedules or looking for condolence in tough times, they can sometimes feel like the same stressors.

I get it. I may not understand your specific situation, but chances are that in some capacity I can connect with you. That is the funny thing about humans; we are all connected somehow. I won't try to tell you to brush anything off or that you are being overly dramatic, etc. That is not helpful, and can often times be worse off. Life is hard enough let alone worrying that who you talk to could bite you in the ass.

I will NOT judge you. It does not matter the situation. It does not matter what you did or didn't do. What matters is that you are looking to talk to someone and get advice. It is not my place to judge you, nor would I ever want to be judged in my most vulnerable.

I also will NOT tell you exactly what to do. This can be the most frustrating for you, but hear me out. I can offer you resources and urge you to do something. Usually, I won't sit back and be like "I dunno", but I won't give you a paint by number for anything. I don't know what to do either in most situations. It is how I can help you go about solving your own problems that counts. For life altering situations, my advice can only get you so far. What matters is that you learn to stand strong for yourself, while I support you. Ultimately all decisions are yours, so don't blame me either. That's not cool.

Lastly, remember who you are confiding in. There are so many people in this world that are just like the people I described above. They will use you, and feel no remorse. Unfortunately, I have seen this happen in my life countless times. It has even happened to myself. Again, I am not one of those people, and I WANT you to have the greatest life with the best support.

I am honored whenever anyone discloses things to me or looks to me for quick advice. It shows that my true colors are shining just the way that I want them to, and it lets me know that we are all just a bunch of humans trying to figure out this thing called life.