Open Letter To My Mom

Open Letter To My Mom

"A mother is not a person to lean on, but a person to make leaning unnecessary."

17
Open Letter To My Mom
China Woods

Dear Momma,

I have so much that I need to say, so I'm not really sure how to start this letter. It's hard to even explain what I want to thank you for, but I think it's overall just for being you.

Thank you for always being my mother -- a person who showed me compassion even when people don't deserve it, love for people who won't reciprocate, faith in myself and others, sacrifice for the people you love, and probably a billion more important things. Thank you for always being my best friend, but being a parent as well. I appreciate your ability to be strict sometimes, and to not try to be cool and permissive. I know I have never said it before, but I am thankful for every time you acted like a parent and not my friend because I know that is what has really shaped me as a person.

Thank you for being there for me every single time I needed you. Thank you for always asking questions when I cried, and hugging me whenever I needed it. Thanks for always making me laugh, and for staying up late just to make sure I got home okay. Thanks for being at every dance recital and band concert. Thank you for supporting me in everything I do. Thanks for giving me everything I ever wanted even when it was difficult for us to get by.

I could write a whole book of things to thank you for because you have sacrificed so much for the happiness of your children. You are an amazing mother, and I am so glad to call you mine. I know raising me wasn't easy. We didn't always have the means to do the things I wanted to do, but you made it all happen. I want you to know that I noticed it all.

I love laughing with you about stupid things that only we would find funny. I love when you tell me I'm being a b***h because I know it's true sometimes. I love that you always answer my calls, even when your hands are covered in some sort of dough. I love how your intuition is always right, although it usually takes a while for me to see. I love baking with you, no matter how many times I complain about it, and when you make me food that I tag you in on Facebook.

I want you to know that you are one of the most important people in my life. I am so glad you'll always be there for me. You have shown me how to live a life worth living. You raised so many children, even some that weren't yours. You are a strong woman. You have told me to dream when I needed you to, and to be practical when I needed that too. I would not be who I am today if it weren't for you.

I'm sorry for the times we got into fights; I know that I was just being a stupid teenager. I'm sorry for all the times I pushed you away; I know you were trying to help. I'm sorry for all the times I didn't have enough time to talk to you; I know you'll always make time for me.

I know that you are worried about how our relationship is changing, but it doesn't have to be changing in a bad way. My life is constantly changing and I can't wait to go through all of these changes with you by my side. As I get older, I'm becoming aware of the fact that, one day, I will be a mother too. I can only hope that I will be as amazing a mother as you are.

Love you, Momma.