An Ode to The Resistance (Part 2 of 3)

An Ode to The Resistance (Part 2 of 3)

This is happening in Real TIme.

4
An Ode to The Resistance (Part 2 of 3)
HBO

Last week, I left you with the serious voice behind the resistance.

In a three-part dossier, I introduced Keith Olbermann to you. The former MSNBC political commentator routinely took the Bush Administration to task for failures and mishandling of events such as the War in Iraq, Hurricane Katrina, and the financial meltdown that led to the Great Recession of 2008. Special comments Olbermann would give would be the most intense portions where the egregiousness required further explanation of the Bush Administration’s latest blunders.

He now appears as a special correspondent on GQ, called “The Closer” and “The Resistance,” where his commentary is no holds barred and uncensored against the Trump Administration.

If you wish to receive some comedic relief, whilst receiving the truth about what the current administration is doing in office in the same uncensored format, look no further than to HBO’s Bill Maher.

The “Real Time” host first made his bones on Comedy Central back in 1993, where he had his own show titled, “Politically Incorrect.” After several nominations, Maher’s no mercy show moved to ABC in 1997. Most of who his frequent guests are on his current show were born on this show. Arianna Huffington, Ann Coulter, and Al Franken are some noteworthy guests that still remain from the “Politically Incorrect” heydays of the 1990’s-early 2000’s.

Those who thought that the comedian’s brash, matter-of-fact humor wasn’t too politically incorrect were in for a shock. Maybe not the right time for a shock.

On a taping of this show back on September 17th, 2001, Maher and guest Dinesh D’Souza had been debating about the true motives behind the previous week’s attacks. D’Souza had disputed Bush’s label of cowards and warriors. Maher agreed, lamenting that, “We were the cowards, lobbing cruise missiles from 2,000 miles away.”

“Staying in the airplane, when it hits the building, say what you want about it, but it’s not cowardly.”

A grieving and sensitive America at that time in history took did not take kindly to Maher’s comments, as several sponsors dropped the show in the wake of the comments. Combined with the low ratings, as well as the comment, the show aired for the final time in June 2002.

Maher caught right back on where he left off in February 2003, with the premiere of his new show, “Real Time,” on HBO. The show took on most of the same elements from “Politically Incorrect,” with more uncensored coverage based on the show being on a pay service, not on a network or regular cable television. He would conclude each show with a segment called “New Rules” and a final thought for the week’s news.

Maher has made it no secret that he and Trump are not the best of friends. The Obama birth certificate controversy started it all. Once Obama had revealed his true birth certificate, Maher made a $5 million dollar bet to the charity of Donald Trump’s choosing if the current President revealed his long-form birth certificate proving that he was not born to an orangutan.

In February 2013, after Trump produced his birth certificate, he sued Maher for the full $5 million, claiming it was legally binding. Maher, along with the rest of the world, thought Trump was really kidding with following through with a lawsuit.

That should’ve been a red flag, considering his address at a campaign event in Pennsylvania where he would pledge to sue women or the New York Times for accusing him of sexual assault, and for publishing it, respectively.

If you just want to relax on the couch and laugh with all of us at the confusion of this administration’s nonsense, and you can afford the $15 a month for HBO, Maher is your guy.

Resist. Peace.