An Ode to Our "Pink-Nation"

An Ode to Our "Pink-Nation"

Working in the Pink department at Victoria's Secret sure has its ups and downs

32
An Ode to Our "Pink-Nation"

Working in retail isn't always somebody's first choice for a career, but working in the Pink Department at Victoria's Secret sure has it's ups and it's downs! Every company has it's "customers", but we call them our "clients". We treat our customers like regulars, even if it's their first time in the store! With a warm welcome within seconds of entering the store, we want our customers comfortable. It's not every day you buy your first bra or set of panties, or sweatsuits for college. And if it is everyday that you shop with us, we'll love you even more!

I've worked at the same store since my senior year of high school (almost 2.5 years now), and I've loved every second. It was my first retail job and I had no idea what to expect. I had no idea I was going to fall in love with all of my co-workers and managers, and our products! To be honest, I never shopped at Victoria's Secret or Pink until I worked there, and boy was I missing out! Pink has absolutely everything for the college girl, the 13-year-old, the trendy mom, and everything in between. With hundreds of different styles of panties, hoodies, bras, sweatpants, fragrances, dorm-room essentials, and more- Pink is growing more and more apart of this generations culture, and I love every second of it.

The first thought in people's heads when I tell them I work at Victoria's Secret is that I walk around modeling lingerie for 8 hours a day-far from it! It's not just looking at boobs all day (sorry, everyone). I work with a lot of young girls who giggle when you say the word "bra". And I get the occasional person who's been busting out of her bra for years who is very okay with having me in the dressing room with her because "I'm the expert". Whether it's giving a girl her first bra, or helping a women find her perfect fit, I get everything in between- it keeps the job interesting to say the least.

Like every retail job, you're going to deal with customers that put a damper on your day or who don't want your help, but having those few customers who take in every bit of information you have to offer them, make everything worth it. The hours might seem insane, coming in as early as 6 a.m., or as late as midnight and staying through all hours of the night (especially at Christmas!), but coming in to an amazing team (and a clean store) make every shift awesome to go into. Don't get me wrong, the long hours trying to keep our clients happy during the holidays and the semi-annual sale (every January and June- you're welcome!) is stressful and nerve-wracking, but having your team behind your back always makes me feel like I'm on top, whether the store is clean in an hour after closing, or if I'm not pulling into my driveway until past 2a.m.!

Having a team that works together is so necessary. In any job, this is important, but with so many different things to choose from, it's extra important at Victoria's Secret and Pink. When I don't know the answer to a question, I know one of my amazing co-workers will have the answer- and then some! We have potlucks almost every month and contests and competitions to get us all involved with each other outside of the workplace! The best part about working with a team like mine, you're not a number. You're greeted everyday and everybody genuinely cares about your well being and how you're doing that day (and everyday for that matter). Some of the jobs my friends have these days gets them lost in the crowd, but working with this close knit team makes me feel needed and important.

On top of all that, wearing leggings to work isn't too shabby. When working at a store with such cute things, you have to learn how to manage your money (or you'll learn the hard way when your bank statement comes in the mail). A big chunk of my paycheck every two weeks goes into spending money on the latest styles, collections, and more. Opening a credit card in Pink can be a blessing or a curse, it depends on how much self control you have! Racking up my Pink Wardrobe right before college really made me feel like a Pink Girl 24/7. I may not be Rachel Hilbert, but working for the company and owning all the clothes makes me feel pretty dang close!

When I started there, I had about two bras from Target and a pair of leggings from Walmart, now, I could probably go almost a month without needing to do laundry because of the massive amount of bras, panties, leggings, and t-shirts I own. If that's not the college lifestyle, I don't know what is! Victoria's Secret gives their associates so much room to grow, from working in the stock room to being a top seller on the sales floor, I have learned so much as an employee and I owe it all to PINK.