How To Know If You're An Extroverted Introvert
Lifestyles

You usually have to choose one or the other, but is it possible to be both?

136
Jenna Walter

If you haven't already been asked the age-old question of whether you're an extrovert or an introvert, answering the question can be a difficult process.

Chances are, you have grown up always knowing that you are one or the other. But have you ever wondered if there is a chance you have the qualities and characteristics of an extrovert and an introvert?

If you consider yourself to be an introvert, these five qualities will most likely ring true:

1. I prefer to collect my thoughts when I am alone.
  2. Large social gatherings leave me feeling physically and mentally exhausted.
  3. I understand and am in touch with how I am feeling most of the time.
  4. It is intimidating to me to seek out external stimulation.
  5. You do not depend on other people. You are very self-sufficient.

On the other hand, if you consider yourself to be an extrovert, these five qualities might be relatable to you:

1. I gather energy by being around other people.
  2. Being alone brings about the feeling of isolation and sadness.
  3. I tend to be friends with everyone.
  4. I prefer to deal with my problems through discussion and talking them out.
  5. Going up to strangers doesn't scare me. In fact, I want to talk to everyone.

It is clear that the two differ very heavily from each other. But if you're reading this and relate to both, you are not alone. This is what I call being an "extroverted introvert." You may be more of an introvert at heart, but you come off very outgoing compared to other introverts due to your personality being in the middle. Many people of this personality are sensitive to their surroundings, and their energy is directly tied to it. You may find socializing to be exhausting at times. However, talking to other people is intriguing to you. When extroverted introverts are recharged and energized, they can be very outgoing and intentional about reaching out to other people. Making small talk with other people is draining for extroverted introverts. They would much rather be honest and say what is on their minds.

Even though we don't hear this term often, or for some of us maybe ever, this personality is very common. Knowing more about it makes us more self-aware and better prepared to help and love those around us.