An excerpt from an anthology piece by Katherine Messina

Fear clawed at my stomach as my heart threatened to beat out of my chest. My legs were shaking from the exertion when the grass beneath my feet turned to concrete. Sweat caused hair to stick to my face. I stopped, looking around, my breathing harsh. A sudden flash of light blinded me as screeching filled the air. I backed towards the woods quickly, tripping over my own feet. My backside hit the ground with a thud. A metal contraption came to a stop inches from me. I took a deep breath, trying to steady myself.

What is that thing?

A tall man stepped out of the strange device. He had large arms and blonde hair. He towered over me.

"What the hell are you doing in the middle of the road? I could have killed you!" he shouted, waving his arms.

I tried to scramble away. His eyes swept over my ripped clothes and bloody feet, and his face changed into one of sympathy.

"Hey," he said in a soothing voice, "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to scare you. Are you okay?"

He held his hand out towards me, and I eyed it suspiciously.

"I'm Tucker," he offered, "What's your name?"

"Sh-shay," I stuttered.

Rustling in the woods behind me spurred me into action.

"Let's go, fast."

Tucker stood completely still and stared into the woods, drawn to the rustling. The Kurasa crashed through the trees, searching for me. Their black eyes landed on Tucker and lit up with malice. They stood a foot taller than him, nearly 7 feet. Their grey skin looked like mud. Tucker froze, and panic filled his eyes.

"In the car," he said, his voice tight.

I didn't argue. I jumped into the metal monstrosity. He was across the road and into the seat with the circular object in front of it in what felt like seconds. I could feel the iron throughout the car. The Kurasa kept their distance. Iron repelled them like most fae even in small doses. I was feeling sick, and I'm only half faerie. The tires squealed as he took off, leaving the Kurasa behind.

"You alright?" Tucker asked, "You look a bit pale."

"Yes, I'll be fine."

"I know that was scary, but it'll be okay. I'll get you far away from them."

"You seem oddly calm for someone who just encountered that," my suspicion rose.

"It's not my first time. Hopefully, it'll be your last. I hunt things like them. Or I used to."

Warning bells went off in my head. What would he do if he found out I was one of them?

"You can let me out soon," I said.

"Don't be ridiculous. I'm going to take you to my place and let you clean up. You'll be safe there, I promise," he gave me a warm smile.

Until you find out what I really am.