Past American Idol Winners

A Real Ranking Of All The Past 'American Idol' Winners

A ranking of the winners based on success and popularity.

134

Before the new season of "American Idol" airs, here is my rankings of all the past winners. I have been an avid "Idol" watcher since season one, so here are my rankings of the 16 winners. This list leaves off people like Chris Daughtry, Jennifer Hudson, Adam Lambert, and others who became famous from "American Idol," but did not win. If you are like me, maybe this list will jog your memory of some people who won that you just absolutely forgot about.

16. Candice Glover

Okay, honestly, I don't know who this is. And yes, I watched this show every year. No memory. According to the internet she has released an album and a few singles.

15. Caleb Johnson

Johnson's album was released very quickly after his "Idol" win and flopped big time. He is the second-worst selling "Idol" winner. He then parted ways with his label and has not released another album.

14. Trent Harmon

Trent has released some singles since his "Idol" win, but fans (If there are any) are still waiting on a debut album. Haven't heard anything from or about him since his win.

13. Nick Fradiani

Okay, so his album only sold 5,000 copies worldwide. He's hot, okay!!! Tell me you don't see the striking resemblance to G-Eazy.

12. Lee Dewyze

Lee actually still has a singing career, although not well known. He sings background on TV shows like "The Walking Dead," "Shameless," and "Nashville."

11. Maddie Poppe

Maddie was the first winner of the new "American Idol" on ABC instead of FOX. I haven't heard much about Maddie since her win, but I thought she had a beautiful voice. You might remember on her finale it was revealed that she was in a relationship with her runner-up, Caleb. According to any news I can find, they are still together.

10. Kris Allen

Kris Allen really only had one song that hit the charts, with "Live Like We're Dying." Allen's win was a shock to all fans, as it seemed that Adam Lambert was the fan favorite. Bonus points for being a cutie, though.

9. Taylor Hicks

I swear I thought this man was like 40 when he was on American Idol, but he wasn't, he just had really gray hair. Surprisingly, Taylor actually had a Las Vegas residency for a little while, and he also appeared on Broadway. He is no longer signed to a record label and owns a restaurant in Birmingham, Alabama.

8. Ruben Studdard

After "Idol," Ruben made his mark in both R&B and gospel genres. He was nominated for a Grammy back in 2003 for Male R&B artist. Ruben has also appeared on the show "The Biggest Loser."

7. Fantasia Barrino

Fantasia has released a total of 5 studio albums since winning "Idol." She has also had guest appearances on both TV and on Broadway. She even had her own reality show for a short time on VH1.

6. David Cook

After "Idol", David Cook released a self-titled album that had a few hits you may remember like "The Time of Your Life" or "Light On." Compared to most other "Idols," he did have a good amount of mainstream success and you could hear him on the radio quite a bit. He then starred on Broadway in "Kinky Boots."

5. Scotty McCreery

Scotty McCreery was still in high school when he won "Idol." His debut album went platinum and then he also released a Christmas album. He now is an author and published his first book in 2016 about his life. He just released his latest album last year.

4. Jordin Sparks

Jordin was only 17 back when she won "American Idol." Se had hits with stars like Chris Brown and Jason Derulo (Whom she dated). She also has pursued an acting career starring in Broadway and movies. And who can forget that guest appearance in "Big Time Rush."

3. Phillip Phillips

Okay, how beautiful and how talented is he! His hit songs "Home" and "Gone Gone Gone" bring me to tears every time I hear them. Phillip's career began to slow after a 3-year lawsuit with the "American Idol" production company, but after the settlement is he back to making music.

2. Carrie Underwood

Let's be real-Carrie Underwood is the only country artist that I can really get down to. Carrie is the top-earning "Idol" alum, per Forbes. She has won 7 Grammy's and 14 CMA awards! The only reason I have her at number 2 and not 1 is because country is more of a niche genre than pop.

1. Kelly Clarkson

Kelly was the first, and best, American Idol ever. She has gone on to win 3 Grammy's, 3 VMAs, 4 AMAs, 2 ACMs, and 1 CMA award. She is now currently a judge on "The Voice." "Since You Been Gone" will always slap, we love you, Kelly.