Why Every Millennial Needs To Watch 'American History X'

It is so relevant, especially now.

3412
mental floss

My mom has been telling me to watch "American History X" with her since I was roughly 16 years old. She said it was the most socially relevant movie she has ever seen. It came out in 1998. Finally, we got around to watching it. And I realized how socially relevant it is, it was, and it, sadly, will continue to be.

This movie is so important for everyone in the United States and the world needs to see it. Before I jump into stating why this is a very important movie to watch and lessons you can learn from it, let me tell you a little bit about the synopsis of this movie, directly from Google as they have said it better than I could:

"Living a life marked by violence and racism, neo-Nazi Derek Vinyard (Edward Norton) finally goes to prison after killing two black youths who tried to steal his car. Upon his release, Derek vows to change his ways; he hopes to prevent his younger brother, Danny (Edward Furlong), who idolizes Derek, from following in his footsteps. As he struggles with his own deeply ingrained prejudices and watches their mother grow sicker, Derek wonders if his family can overcome a lifetime of hate."

So why is this important? Well, let us talk about why and some scenes that are so important.

First, Some Scenes

1. American History X: the class Danny did not want to take

His history teacher gave up on him after he wrote an essay on Mein Kampf and talked about Hitler as a civil rights leader (which is something terrifying to think of something that could happen as a history education major). So Principal Sweeney took Danny into his own hands. He talked about how Danny would now come to his office each day and take part of a conversation about current events, he called the class American History X. His first assignment was to write an essay that analyzed and interpret his brother incarceration, as his brother was released that morning. Instead of suspending him, he gave him a second chance.

2. That one scene where Derek (Edward Norton) gives a rally speech about illegal immigrants before the neo-Nazi gang "rob" the grocery store run by Koreans

This was one of the most terrifying scenes in the movie, mostly because their hatred and the blame the neo-nazi gang put on "illegal immigrants" and people of other races for their life problems, is something that is still heard today. As my mom said while watching the movie, "Oh my god, I'm pretty sure Donald Trump used some in this speech in the past election." As I said: relevant and scary.

3. The dinner blow up: The Rodney King conversation and the physical violence against Derek's sister.

Derek used derogatory statements against his mother's Jewish boyfriend after a conversation about the Rodney King situation. Then he physically shoved meat down his sister's throat, which was powerful and is much better than I can explain.

4. Derek killing the African American man and then getting arrested

Derek kills the man so violently then as he is getting arrested he has no remorse. You can see it in his eyes. And Danny's reaction is so emotional and sad.

5. Danny realizing that if he testified, his brother would have gotten life in jail

Danny's idol was his brother. He wanted to be him, he wanted to follow his footsteps. When he wrote that sentence when writing his essay, he deleted it immediately. Knowing it was too much for him to even face.

6. Derek getting raped in jail — all because he sat at a different table one day and played basketball with the "Black convicts"

The rest of the neo-Nazis in jail jumped him in the shower, raped him, and banged his head against a wall, all because of not sitting with them and playing basketball.

7. Principal Sweeney visiting Derek in jail

He brought him books and comforted him after the attack. He talks about Derek's attitude and the reason he became a neo-nazi. Sweeney says, "You have to ask the right question... has anything you’ve done made your life better?" This made Derek realize he needed to change and stop the hatred he was carrying.

8. THE LAST SEVEN MINUTES

You got to watch it.

So now, important lessons learned and observations;

1. The inequality in the justice system that still exists today:

Lamont, an African American man stole a TV, which fell on the cop's foot and got six years. Derek killed someone violently and shot him and shot at a car in suburbia, which only got three years.

2. How one crazy old man with an agenda can make money and create a small army: Cameron prays on people

Cameron is the leader of the Nep-Nazi group. He was able to manipulate Derek into believing the Nazi ideology and created a small army of white supremacists. It is terrifying to think of someone having that much power over so many people who is so full of hatred and literally a nazi. He is able to talk to a group of young white people and make them believe in the negative ideology he has. Scary to think of that happening.

3. How much Derek wants to help Danny not make the same mistakes as him

He wanted to make sure Danny had a better chance and opportunities in life and doesn't end up in jail.

4. Sometimes, people need jail to be able to have an eye-opening: it can help and should help rehabilitate people.

And yet for Derek, it had nothing to do with the system, more to do with three people. Principal, Lamar, and himself and the want and need to change to better himself and his family.

5. How important and necessary it is to have teachers/ principals who don’t give up on those "lost causes"

As a future teacher, this is important to me. Danny was literally brainwashed. He really didn't believe in the Nazi ideas like his brother or any of the other gang members. The principal saw that and believed that you could save those kids who had a hard life and have been seen as a lost cause. Kids are important to help and need someone to be on their side.

6. Prison affects a whole family, not just Derek

For three years Derek's family went without him and it took a toll. It was heartbreaking for his mother and his brother was more influence by negative influences/

7. Corruption in the prison

The guard literally let Derek get raped by the other "skinhead/neo-Nazis" in prison

9. Positivity is key

Lamont was in jail and it was very corrupt and unfair. Yet when working with Derek he was positive and tried to make Derek smile and make him in a conversation.

10. Hatred is powerful. Love is more powerful

In the world we live in today, this is such an important lesson. Hatred helps no one. It fosters violence and more pain in the world. Instead, make a positive impact and help the wolf instead of hurting it.

11. One person can change your life

Lamont literally saved Derek life and helped make sure he didn’t get hurt/killed/or raped again after the dissing the other neo-Nazi people gang in jail. He helped Derek realize he needed to change.

12. Tattoos are permanent

Derek had a tattoo of the swastika on his chest. It is a symbol of hate he will carry with him now and his past. Although a small lesson in the whole scheme of this movie, it is something that took out to me.

13. One comment can change the course of someone's life.

All started of this started because Derek's dad (who died in the line of duty as a firefighter) made a comment about "It’s everywhere I look now… this affirmative black shit." He then goes on to say how making everything equal is not that easy. He stated, "I have two black guys who got their job versus some white guys who scored higher. But now I have two guys who aren’t as good and only got the job because they were black... Watch out for n***** bulls**." One conversation radicalizes him and in response his brother. Although not purposefully it changed their lives.

14. "Hate is baggage Life's too short to be pissed off all the time. It's just not worth it" -Danny

Enough said.

The fact that this movie didn't win an Oscar for best picture and Edward Norton didn't win best actor is honestly crazy. Reading the lessons and observations I made over again, I think how hate is overflowing in this world right now. How one man's comments have had such a negative impact on the world. How the justice system is corrupt, in many ways. How many people turn to violence to fight their frustration in their own life.

Sadly, I think this movie will continue to be relevant for a while. But that being said, it is important that everyone watches it and see for themselves the lessons and messages this movie has. Everyone should see it. Everyone needs to see it.