Why Does America Think Democracy Means Equality?

7
Time Weekly

For most Americans, the fact that our country is a democratic nation denotes that we are also a nation of equality. While this is becoming truer in recent years, it has not been the legacy of our country over the long term. This is because democracy and equality do not naturally go hand in hand with one another. The original democracy in Greece was only a democracy for free males who were over the age of 18. While democracy ensures equality under the law it does not ensure equality in life or in stature.

This is where the miscommunication has occurred between the government and the people. America’s governmental system is one of equality under the law. However, this does not mean equal housing, land, food or other amenities. It is not the government’s job to take care of the people in a democracy; rather, it is the duty of the people to take care of the government. Of course America is not a true democracy. We are a mix-match of different systems in a way that would make Machiavelli cringe. This patchwork system seems to combine differing governmental structures into one democratic inspired nation state. Unfortunately though, in recent years, many people think that democracy means equality in all things. Democracy has come to mean that we all should be equal in all parts of life and that it is essentially criminal to go against the status quo, whether it be political correctness, or others berating you for your choice of presidential candidate. Essentially America is becoming a place where if you are not politically correct or if you hold an unpopular opinion people think that they can go outside the law to punish you for being different.

In a democracy we are equal under the law, so why is it that protesters feel they can be so violent at Trump rallies? Maybe it’s because they feel it is justified or that they are helping fight against him. That’s nice and all but do so within the constraints of the law. Trump, hate groups and others with unpopular opinions have just as much right to share their opinions as do the politically correct, liberalized protesters do. Just because their message is not one you wish to see in America does not give someone the right to go outside the law to stop their message.

It is sickening to see in our country today the inability to talk about differing ideas, discuss concepts and drive the country to great heights. Instead Americans bicker within themselves trying to censor one another. It seems that we have forgotten that a law abiding neo-Nazi is just as much entitled to his views as is your church's law abiding pastor. Just because someone is not politically correct does not mean they are a backwards hill-jack from the hills of Kentucky. This is not a socialistic country yet and I pray it will never be. Democracy gives us equality under the law, but not in stature or our private lives. For our nation to stand as one and become strong again we must realize that competing ideas are good. Discussion, debate and talking through issues is how our government is supposed to work; compromise, not complacency, is the hallmark of a great democracy.