Growing up on the Northeast coast, I definitely took a lot for granted. Going to the beach every weekend in the summer was a family tradition. It was a common one among many coastal families. It wasn't until I left for college in Virginia where the closest beach is about four hours away, that I realized how different living on the coast is. You're surrounded by water and there's nothing better than catching the fresh sea breeze.
Here are 15 things that coastal kids know to be true.
1. Fresh seafood is at your fingertips
Lobster, shrimp, cod, haddock, you name it. You take it for granted and seafood from anywhere else just isn't the same.
2. On a beautiful day, you can head to the beach without having to drive hours
4. You find it funny that people come from all over the place to vacation close to your home
You can spot the tourists from a mile away.
5. You can choose from a variety of beaches to go to
You definitely have your favorites but you're willing to switch up your beach plans when you have to.
6. You can escape to your summer house on the water any time
Need some fresh air? You know just where to go.
7. Putting on sunscreen is like second nature
You've got every degree SPF depending on how strong the UV rays are that day.
8. A cloudy day is still a beach day
Sun or no sun you're always down for some salty air and sand.
9. You’re a pro tuber
You've learned a thing or two and you know how to hold on for dear life.
10. You got your boating license before you got your driver’s license
And you think it's totally normal.
11. You can wear your bathing suit to the grocery store
And it's totally normal.
12. You’re more than used to the offshore breeze and wouldn’t have it any other way
Voluminous hair is the new trend.
13. You’re a natural at making campfires on the beach
Your cabinets are always stocked with graham crackers, Hershey's chocolate, and marshmallows.
14. Shoes don’t exist in the summer and your feet are used to it
No shoes, no problem.
15. Your collection of sea glass is constantly growing
But it's never enough, you need more.