Amber Guyger’s Sentence Is A Perfect Example Of Imperfect Justice

Ten years for taking an innocent person's life is not justice.

386

The justice system isn't perfect. How can we expect it to be when human error is inevitable? However, as time progresses, there should also be a progression toward a more perfect justice system. With the case of Amber Guyger, it's obvious that there is stagnation. And no amount of forgiveness or hugs without proper reforms in the system itself will change that.

Amber Guyger is a former police officer of the Dallas Police Department who, while off-duty, murdered Botham Jean, a 26-year-old unarmed black man, when she entered his apartment last year claiming she thought it was her own. This past week, she was found guilty on murder charges and sentenced to 10 years with eligibility for parole within five.

After the sentencing was decided, Guyger was met with an embrace from Brandt Jean, the victim's brother.

In my opinion, there is no justice in this homicide case. I've been talking to some people who believe Guyger got just what she deserved: jail time. However, I don't think that's enough. I think we've fallen into complacency because so often (usually white) police officers murder innocent (usually black) people and get either no jail time or a slap on the wrist. In the time that I've been alive and actually following the news, it seems that there are more crooked cops who get off for free while their murder victim's families suffer in acrimony.

Even though this case was different due to the officer actually being sentenced and being met with forgiveness and an embrace despite the family being hurt from this loss, I don't think anything in the justice system has changed and I do think it's because she's white. There have been black people sentenced to more jail time for possessing drugs, and in my opinion, 10 years is not enough for taking an innocent person's life.