No, I'm Not Too Young To Have Found My Soulmate

I may be twenty, but I am also self-aware

588
GTV

At twenty years old, I feel grateful to say that I have had an incredible amount of experiences. From things as small as receiving my first guitar at the age of ten, to traveling to other parts of the world, I am constantly enamored by the plethora of experiences I have engaged in at such a young age. Still, I am constantly reminding myself that while twenty may seem old, it is quite young. With a solid 30 years left before that middle age mark, there are plenty of things I haven’t had the opportunity to do yet, and an overwhelming amount of experiences I haven’t yet participated in. Given this, I sometimes think myself crazy saying that I believe I have found my soulmate. You know, that one person that you whole-heartedly believe you are going to spend the rest of your life with. That person that is both the love of your life and your best friend. If you don't know what I'm talking about, don't worry. However, for those of you that do, I have been facing an inner conflict with myself after conversing with a friend and saying the words, "He's my soulmate" but hearing in return, "Soulmate? How can he be your soulmate? You’re only 20…". It got me thinking, are we too young to have soulmates at just twenty years old? Well, conclusion time: no, we are not, and here's why.

It might be true that at twenty-years old we haven’t had all the experiences we are going to have. In fact, we probably have done as little as dipped our toes in the ocean that is the rest of our lives. Nonetheless, we are also very self-aware. We know who we are as people, the kinds of things we are hoping for in our future, and most importantly, the types of people we are interested in sharing those experiences with.

Now, I'm sure many of you are thinking, what is a soulmate? How do you know exactly when you have found that person? What types of feelings/emotions do you experience once you have met them?

Without further ado, here is my "Guide To Identifying Your Soulmate":

You know you have found your soulmate when everything that happens to you in your life-whether it be good or bad- you know the first person you want to call. Although you may occasionally gravitate towards calling your best friend or parents, your soulmate will always hold that top spot and number one priority.

You know you have found your soulmate when the first person you think about when you wake up in the morning and the last person you think about when you fall asleep at night is that person you are in a relationship with. Constantly having them on your mind and thinking about them before you sleep shows that they make you calm, and having them on your mind when you wake up the next morning illustrates that they give you happiness.

You know you have found your soulmate when everything is, for lack of a better word, the best. The best ice cream you have had is the ice cream the two of you got together. The best book you ever read is the book you were reading during the first few months of your relationship. And the best physical acts of love are undoubtedly, hands down, the best with that person.

You know you have found your soulmate when you worry about everything you are doing/saying around them because their opinion is the one that truly matters to you. Although you care about the thoughts/feelings of your family, this person’s word always has the most merit to you. You care about what they think of your new haircut, or how good that final essay you submitted is.

You know you have found your soulmate when you get worked up about possibly, maybe upsetting them, even if it is in the smallest, most minuscule way. If anyone else were to mishear what you said or misinterpret an action that you committed, you probably wouldn’t care. Nonetheless, when they are the most important person in your world, you would sleep on a bed of spiders in order to get them to understand how you feel and your real/true intentions.

You know you have found your soulmate when they accept your insecurities, and you accept theirs. Any old relationship doesn't come as easily as a relationship with your soulmate does. You fixate on the small things and lose interest quickly. But with your soulmate, everything comes with ease and you know that no matter how sensitive you may be or how much they don't enjoy waking up at 6am with you, they are the person you want to be with.

You know you have found your soulmate when you imagine your future with them. If you can imagine your future with this person, if they are the person that you want to buy a house and have children with, even at the age of twenty, you can be sure that you have found your soulmate.

So yes, I might be twenty years old, but I have also found my soulmate, and if you have as well, more power to you. Although I might be too young to have a mid-life crisis, I certainly do not believe I am too young to know when something fits together: perfectly.