I Am a Sister... A Sorority Sister

I Am a Sister... A Sorority Sister

I joined a sorority in college, and that is something I will always be proud of.

25
I Am a Sister... A Sorority Sister

"Sororities symbolize all that we wish to accomplish in our lives. They represent the struggles we all face as we grow. Why we cling to them no one can explain, but in the end, we are all stronger for it."

When people hear that I was in a sorority, I can tell that they are surprised. I don’t fit the “sorority girl mold” and that is something that I was always proud of. I found the perfect sorority for me; one that didn’t have a mold that I need to fit.

From the moment I meet the girls of Nu Sigma Chi, I knew I had found the place I belonged with the people I needed in my life. Sure, it was hard work, but everything and every moment was worth it. From mixers to bonding events, charity events and rush week, some of the best memories from college all center around that group of girls; my sisters for eternity.

My sorority based itself off of three things: Trust, Respect and Unity. Those three things have been inscribed into me in so many aspects of my life. Being in the sorority taught me so many things, both about myself and about life in general. Sure I had my hard times in the 4 years I was an active sister, but I knew I had so many sisters who always had my back and would be there for me no matter what.

I could tell you stories about each and everyone of my sisters, and most of them would probably bring a smile to my face. I think my favorite memory is just sitting in the hallway of our house, eating dinner and just talking to everyone. We would recap our day, do our homework, or just shoot the shit. I knew no matter what, I could walk in anyone’s room and find someone to talk to. Recently I went to one of my sister’s wedding, and it was great to see some of my sisters again. It brought back so many memories and reminded me once again why I made one of the greatest decisions of my life.

Being a sorority girl in my opinion is not a bad thing at all; but a gift. I gained so much knowledge about myself, I learned who I am and also who I wanted to be. I did some of my biggest growth while living at 52P. The days and nights in the sorority played a big role in helping me make it through college. I’m not saying it was easy, but I know I made the best decision the day I put on my letters. Not only did I gain a place in a sorority, but I gained a home. I was an only child before April 10, but that day changed my life. I gained a whole bunch of not only best friends, but sisters. If I had to do it all over again, I would and I wouldn’t think twice about it.

“From the outside looking in you can never understand it; from the inside looking out you can never explain it.”