I Am Sick Of This Selfish Society

I Am Sick Of This Selfish Society

Where is the love?

1881
I Am Sick Of This Selfish Society

I am sick of this selfish, self-centered society. The Black-Eyed Peas said it perfectly, Where is the love? People seriously have me questioning where is the love. I see selfishness. I see a self-centered society. It makes me sick.

The other day I was in Walmart shopping. I was walking towards the side door that you have to manually open. I young girl was walking out as I was about to walk in, she easily could have waited two seconds to keep the door open for me, but rather she walked on past. I did not really care, but kept walking it to get what I needed. As I was walking down the middle aisle, another woman was walking towards me, head down in her phone. She kept approaching closer and closer right in front of me. Still staring at her screen, never looking up yet. I was not sure if she was ever going to see me. We were about five feet away and she still did not look up. I moved over to the right just in time, she passed me still continuing to look down at her device.

I am in no way judging these two individuals. I myself am guilty of both of these situations. This is the reality of the selfish society we live in.

Today I encountered another person who still gets to me when I think about it. While at a town festival with hundreds of people, I decided to go get an apple dumpling at one of the booths. I recognized the volunteers at the booth because they all had college apparel on for the college I attend and another local college. Their booth was crowded with people surrounding them everywhere. It was around lunch time and business was booming. I stood beside another lady and waited patiently for someone to take my order. I could tell they were busy and it did take awhile for my order but it was just the same amount of time one would wait for an order at McDonalds. A lady beside me decided to complain the whole time. Making rude remarks about where her order was. She even had the nerve to say “This is very disorganized.” right to the face of a worker. The lady then looked at me and said, “this is taking forever.” I could have said so much to her and gave her the same attitude right back but instead I said, “Oh well the wait is worth it, the food will be delicious!”

We live in a world of wants and haves. See it, want it, have to have it. We crave on buying the latest, the newest, and the best. We are living in a material world. Have to have the newest iphone, shiniest cars, name brand clothing, and biggest house. We crave and want. We are impatient people. When we want it, we want it now. This selfish desire is driven by materialism. People put possessions before other people The women in walmart and the woman at the festival teach a valuable lesson. Don’t be blind to notice those around you. People should be a priority over possessions. Look up from your phone or you may miss something or someone. More importantly you could bump into something! Lastly remember how you treat others. In the book To Kill A Mockingbird, Atticus Finch says it perfectly, “You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view--until you climb into his skin and walk around in it.”