12 Things That I Am Truly Thankful For

12 Things That I Am Truly Thankful For

Thanksgiving has always been a difficult holiday for me.

331
12 Things That I Am Truly Thankful For
Center Branch

Growing up, my friends would tell me stories about how fun and exciting their Thanksgiving was with their aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents, and anyone and everyone else that they're related to. I felt jealous because the only family that's ever lived within a one hundred mile radius to me are my parents and two sisters; my aunts, uncles, and grandparents are all scattered across the United States, and I don't have any first cousins. While my mom always cooks a wonderful meal for Thanksgiving, I have always felt like I wasn't actually celebrating anything since it was just five people at the dinner table. I used to spend Thanksgiving day dreaming of the day that my sisters and I would all be married with children and we could finally have the Thanksgiving that we had missed out on our whole lives.

I hated Thanksgiving with all my heart and resented the fact that my extended family lived so far away, but this year, I decided to make a change in my approach to this (semi-dreadful) holiday (I'm still working on it). I've realized that Thanksgiving, while traditionally observed with mass amounts of family members, didn't have to be a ginormous celebration to be meaningful. Thanksgiving, at it's core, is about giving thanks for what you've got and having a gathering with the people you love.

So, instead of moping and pouting during this time of year, I've decided to express my thankfulness for what I do have this year (I know you've seen a thousand of these already this month, but this is huge for me).

1. My dog

Thank you for always greeting me with so much excitement that you pee on my shoes. Thank you for cuddling with me and keeping me company. Thank you for teaching me patience and how to love someone unconditionally (because you really test me sometimes). I love your goofy personality and never-ending happiness. It might not be entirely normal how much you inspire me, but oh well. I love you so much!

2. My older sister

Thank you for always keeping me in line. Thank you for showing me the way when I needed guidance and teaching me everything I know about living right. Thanks holding my hand when I cried, but also letting me know when it was time to put my big-girl pants on and get over it. Thank you for never sugar-coating anything. Thank you for always being honest. Thank you for always being true to who you are. Thank you for being a wonderful role model and an amazing sister. Thank you for your sarcasm and intelligence. Thank you for your laugh; I love it so much. Thank you for all of our memories. Thank you for making me a better person. Also, thanks for not punching me in the face every day. I know I deserve it sometimes. We most definitely have our differences, but I wouldn't trade them for the world. Even though I don't show it as much as I should, I really do love you.

3. My younger sister

I started to type "little sister" but changed it since you're A) not little anymore, and B) more like my equal than anything else. Thank you for always being my friend. Thank you for your unconditional support and respect for me. Thank you for your silliness and your warm heart. Thank you for always being down for a lazy movie day or going to get food. Thank you for being so sensitive and teaching me how to be more aware of the feelings of others. Thank you for always answering the phone when I call. Thank you for listening to me vent about my problems, even though I know you hate hearing me complain. Thank you for always telling me when I'm wrong in the sweetest possible way. Thank you for your down-to-earth personality. Thank you for singing in the car with me. Thank you for always having a level head to make up for my bad temper. You are a light in my life. I love you!

4. My mom

Honestly, what would I be without you? First of all, thank you for bringing me into this world; it's so good to be alive. Thank you for calling me randomly just to talk or say hi. Thank you for always answering my texts immediately. Thank you for knowing everything about anything. Thank you for sending me letters and greeting cards for no reason except to say hello. Thank you for paying my bills and managing my FAFSA (disclaimer: it is my own money that my mom is spending). Thank you for your amazing cooking skills; I always look forward to our meals together when I come home. Thank you for your kind heart. Thank you for your patience and unconditional love; I know I am not always easy. Thank you for our movie nights; there is no one else I'd rather watch chick flicks and cry with than you. Thank you for being my number one fan and for your unending support. I look up to you so much and I admire everything about you. You are my inspiration and motivation; I wouldn't be where I am today without you. I love you so much!

5. My dad

I suppose I should thank you for being part of the reason I exist today. Thank you for all of your hard work to keep our family together. Thank you for always doing whatever it took to give me a good life. Thank you for always knowing how to make me laugh. Thank you for your goofiness and craziness. Thank you for always protecting me. Thank you for showing me what kind of man I should look for. Thank you for always being kind even when you don't want to be. Thank you for always apologizing first (I get my stubbornness from you, so I know how hard this can be). Thank you for always asking me to go fishing with you even though I never want to get out of bed. Thank you for always checking on me when you wake up in the middle of the night. Thank you for keeping my room clean while I'm away at school. We butt heads so much, but it's only because I'm so much like you. That being said, thank you for giving me some of my best qualities. I think so highly of you and I love you with all my heart.

6. My friends

Thank you for always being there. Thank you for listening to me when I need to vent. Thank you for always giving me fashion advice and helping me choose outfits when I can't make my own decisions (which happens at least three times a week). Thank you for being patient with me. Thank you for understanding when I fall short. Thank you for being down to go on drives with me. Thank you for all of our spontaneous trips to get food. Thank you for all of the laughter. Thank you for all the love. Thank you for your undying support. Thank you for humoring my crazy ideas. Thank you for being my motivators and lifting me up when I need it. Thank you for pushing me to be better. I love each and every one of you more than I could ever express.

7. My boyfriend

First, thanks for tolerating me. You get my good, my bad, and my ugly, and you love each aspect of me. Thank you for your hugs. Thank you for your laugh, especially when you're laughing at my jokes that I know you don't actually find funny. Thank you for supporting me. Thank you for knowing exactly what I need when I need it, even if I say I don't want it. Thank you for driving me around when I want to vent or even if I just want to sing. Thank you for supporting my chicken obsession. Thank you for making me more adventurous. Thank you for pushing me outside of my comfort zone. Thank you for knowing what I am capable of and pushing me to achieve it. Thank you for teaching me that there isn't just one way to do something. Thank you for always pushing me to be better and encouraging me when I'm feeling down. Thank you for taking care of me when I'm sick, especially when it's been a month since I've seen you and we had really fun plans. Thank you for always being there, whether you're 5 minutes down the road, 4 hours away, or halfway across the globe. Thank you for always forgiving me. Thank you for being patient. Thank you for not only giving me what I never thought I deserved, but also showing me that I am worth so much more than what I give myself credit for. Words cannot describe how truly blessed I am to have you. I love you most.

8. My boyfriend's family

When I first met you all, I was so scared that you wouldn't like or approve of me; little did I know, you would become a second family to me. Thank you for letting me come over whenever I want. Thank you for letting me do my laundry at your house for free since I'm too broke to do it on campus. Thank you for making me home-cooked meals while I'm at school. Thank you for bringing me on your family adventures. Thank you for being accepting of me. Thank you for loving me despite my craziness. Thank you for being so welcoming to me. Thank you for making me part of your family. I love y'all.

9. My job and the friendships I've made because of it

I am so thankful to have the opportunity to have a part-time job while I'm at school. I am so thankful to work in a place that is so flexible and works with my busy schedule. I am so thankful to be making enough money to save some and spend some. I am so thankful for the people that I work with and how kind they have been to me. I am so thankful for always having a place to go and people to talk to when my classes get out early but I can't go home quite yet. I am so thankful that my job is enjoyable and that I look forward to going every day. I'm so thankful for the friendships I've made with my coworkers.

10. My education

While going to college is often overlooked as a necessity or basic part of life, I can't help but be thankful for it. I am so thankful for the opportunity to go to school and receive higher education. I am so thankful that I have the financial ability to go to college. I am so thankful for the opportunities that going to college has brought to me. I am so thankful that I will be able to have a brighter future because of the degree that I'm earning.

11. Odyssey

In just 7 months, I went from being a content creator with the single intent of sharing my story to being the Editor in Chief of the Western Illinois University community. I am so thankful for this leadership opportunity. I am so thankful that I have continued to share my story and help others in sharing theirs. I am so thankful that I can share my thoughts, ideas, and opinions in a safe place. I am so thankful to be a part of a community of people that have a passion for storytelling, influencing, and writing wonderful pieces. I am so thankful for the friendships Odyssey has brought to me. I am so thankful for the opportunity to build on my resume. I am so thankful for the people that read and share the things that I never thought I'd publish. I am so thankful that Odyssey has strengthened my reading, writing, editing, community, and leadership skills. I am so thankful that my writing for Odyssey has encouraged me to pick up a second minor in professional writing. I absolutely love what I do and I wouldn't trade this experience for the world.

12. Quite simply, being alive

How lucky are we that we are alive today? It's so easy to get caught up in work, school, family, drama, or whatever else, but it is so important to remember that you were blessed enough to wake up today and continue to live and breathe. I am so thankful for this life, even on the days that I wish I could just stay in bed all day and ignore the world. I am so thankful for the country and world that I live in. I am so thankful for all the people I will meet and all the things I will do. Even if I don't see tomorrow, I am thankful for being alive today.

I could go on for days about all of the people and things that I am thankful for, but it does not have to be Thanksgiving to acknowledge my blessings. I will not only remember this list on Thanksgiving day, but also on every day of the year.