From The Girl Who Is, And Always Will Be, 'One Of The Boys'

I am definitely not the stereotypical girly-girl.
24

Recently, I asked a friend if being a not-so-girly girl is a turnoff, to prospective friends and guys who may show interest in me.

I love most sports, making sarcastic comments, and having a fun (yet laid back) time. These things are part of my identity, although I couldn't help but wonder if they make people think differently of me.

Her response?

"You do come off 'bro' [when you talk sports]."

I couldn't help but laugh, because that is one of the most accurate things anyone has ever said about me. I am definitely not the stereotypical girly-girl (though I will occasionally lose my sh*t over a cute baby or puppy). Most days, I’d choose trendy workout gear over a lacy dress. I spend 20 minutes max on my makeup, even if that means other girls look more glam than me. I can spit out the words to Eminem’s Without Me on command. Staying in to watch the Bruins (even if they get their asses kicked) is my ideal Saturday night, as opposed to getting all done up for a frat party or formal event. I don't cry over romantic comedies, but I sure as hell lose sleep over upcoming Patriots games. If I toss you sarcastic insults, that means I’ll keep you around. That's just how I am.

Don't get me wrong, just because I fit into the above stereotypes does not mean I don't like to embrace my inner girly-girl sometimes. I have a weak spot for attractive hockey and football players, Joey Tribbiani from Friends is my TV crush, I like to wear sundresses to country concerts, and Taylor Swift's old stuff is one of my many guilty pleasures. I have never felt the need to only fit into one of the two boxes; I simply get along better with guys because we share similar interests and mindsets. I can do both, and that's OK.

My friend then went on to say that I shouldn't change for anyone, no matter what somebody wants out of me. And she is absolutely right. I will change for nobody but myself, and if that means I’ll be a ‘bro’ for the rest of my youth, so be it.