Are You A Part Of The Problem?

Are You A Part Of The Problem?

This is why asshole-like tendencies need to become altruistic ones.

182
Are You A Part Of The Problem?
pexels

Last week ‘always sunny Los Angeles’ had a few rainy days. And as L.A locals know far too well, the rain brings unwarranted havoc in this city. On one of the rainy days we had last week I walked to the library to stay dry after class.

There were two people in front of me as I approached the entry of the library. The girl standing in front of us both was walking with crutches and a notebook pressed under her armpit. The guy walking right behind her was walking with empty hands and his head up. When it came time for the girl on crutches to open the door, she did not hesitate. She slammed her entire body into the door in hopes of it opening. The guy standing behind her just stared. Meanwhile, her notebook flew out from under her, which only prompted him to make his way into the library through the exit.

I was in absolute shock.

I hardly know what’s worst: that she never expected an ounce of help, or that he walked straight past her without a thought of extending it. She was struggling, she was stressed, and it was apparent just from looking at her. Why would he not want to help her?

I was happy to help pick up her notebook, open the door, and send her on her way. But why? Why did I even get that opportunity? Why was it not human nature for that guy to just help?

It seems like we have reached a place in social evolution where people only help each other if it helps themselves. For example, giving someone a ride to buy a printer only because you need to use that printer. That’s not really doing anything to help them. It is doing something for you. In the case of the guy who could have helped by opening the door, there was a more convenient door for him to go through. Maybe if there was no exit he would have acted differently.

I am not suggesting we all ought to become selfless-machines constantly performing acts of kindness. But maybe if we all could develop altruistic tendencies, on some scale, the world could become a better place. Maybe that girl would have expected more than no one helping her. And maybe that guy would have opened the door before she ever had a chance.

I simply think everyone ought to try to interact with their environment better.

And all I mean is:

When you see someone that’s lost in your hometown, help them.

When you walk past someone who is frustrated with the ATM machine you use every day, ask them if they would like your help.

When you see someone struggling to hold two doors open and maintain the balance of the three textbooks they have on their forearm, grab one of the doors open. Hell, grab both if you’re feeling a little extra.

When you’re having an extra good day and you make eye contact with a blank face, smile. Just smile at them.

You can do it all on your own, but a good life usually requires help from others. Someone raised you until you could make choices for yourself and someone will have to walk you when your legs can no longer pull you along sufficiently. We all need help, just on different days and at different times. Do not discriminate against when you give help as it would be a shame for someone to do the same to you.