15 Alternative Songs You Can Jam Out To

15 Alternative Songs You Can Jam Out To

Listeners be warned: can cause sudden chanting and dancing no matter one's location

3417
15 Alternative Songs You Can Jam Out To

Welcome to the huge world of alternative music. The awesome thing about this genre is that every artist and song is different... alternative is a category of various material. Some songs are sad as hell and others are happy and joyous. Some make you cry and make you think and others make you want to get up wherever you are and chant along with the singer. The 14 songs below cover the latter. If you want, listen along to some songs while reading through. Enjoy, dude!

1. "Amerika" by Young the Giant

Right now, "Amerika" is my favorite of the month and for good reason! The lead singer's voice just flows into my ears like smooth honey and the drum beat makes my head bob no matter where I am.

Favorite lyric: Felt that rich kid pain, what it is to be alone

2. "Loving Someone" by the 1975

Ah, the 1975. What a great band that punches out alternative music with fast, slow, and in between tunes. "Loving Someone" is a perfect example of a great chorus and the soft crooning of Matt Healy.

Favorite lyric: I never did understand – the duality of art and reality, living life and treating it as such but with a certain disconnect

3. "Creep" by Stone Temple Pilots

An oldie but a goodie – if you consider a song from the 1990s to be old. Though this song is repetitive, the contrast of the slow verses and the faster chorus is just fascinating. I've never caught myself not singing along!

Favorite lyric: Feelin' uninspired, think I'll start a fire

4. "Where I'm Going" by Sir Sly

Sir Sly's voice is so different compared to other bands, that he gives a variation to my music taste even though it's all alternative. I can't describe the quirkiness of "Where I'm Going" so please give it a listen!

Favorite lyric: Back in the days, boys used to play and women were fearless, now we're afraid stuck in the daze

5. "Shots" - Broiler Remix by Imagine Dragons

This remix takes the catchy chorus and adds a string orchestra remix. And wow is this awesome! Broiler uses classical music as an extra alternative aspect which is never usually done!

Favorite lyric: Oh I'm wishing you're here, but I'm wishing you're gone

6. "Let it Happen" by Tame Impala

Yes, this song is over seven minutes long, but it's still great! It has a mystical beat and a unique repetition. I could listen to this song over and over on a road trip just looking at nature.

Favorite lyric: I heard about a whirlwind that's coming 'round, it's gonna carry off all that isn't bound

7. "Ms" by Alt-j

Obviously one of my favorite bands will be in this list (twice actually). "Ms" is a wonderful troupe of Thom Green's eclectic voice and the crazy minds of this band. Highly recommend this song as one of the first choices if you've never listened to Alt-j.

Favorite lyric: Some things lie too deep for tears to well, close eyes open, close again, feel as my body spells

8. "Somebody Else" by the 1975

When songs like this become mainstream, it hurts me, but that doesn't stop me from putting it on the list. If you haven't heard this song by now, please listen to it. The flow from the slow beginning to the fast and crazy ending is to die for. One of my favorites of the 1975 by far!

Favorite lyric: I can't give you my soul 'cause we're never alone

9. "Fake It" by Bastille

Bastille's new album Wide World is so different but similar from their first album. A cool addition to some of the songs is the radio edit of the beginnings in which people from other media speak and weigh in on the topic of the song. "Fake It" is a combination of Dan Smith's wonderful voice and how to really project instrumental beauty.

Favorite lyric: Melt me down, I'm like wax to your jokes

10. "Scavenger" by Finish Ticket

Finish Ticket is one of my favorite bands and they're not as well known as other artists in this article. I don't like sharing some of my music options because sometimes I feel as if they're special to just me. However... "Scavenger" is just too good not to share. It's a fast paced song that brings together rock and indie.

Favorite lyric: I know it's harder than it seems to always feel stuck in between, the start and where you want to be

11. "Kids" by OneRepublic

Some might argue that this is a pop song but besides the chorus... I'm not sure about that. This song makes me jam out wherever I am... from my car to my dorm to public transportation. If you want a song that makes you go crazy with your mom, this is it.

Favorite lyric: I don't know what's 'round the corner, way I feel right now I swear we'll never change

12. "Something to Believe In" by Young the Giant

Like "Somebody Else", this song is played on the radio a little too much for my liking. Yet, it's too good to ignore. The beat includes a great drum line with a tambourine, plus it highlights the range of the lead singer's voice (trust me, he is crazy talented).

Favorite lyric: Everyday when I speak to the moon, pale as a ghost in the afternoon

13. "Left Hand Free" by Alt-j

There are too many songs by Alt-j to choose from, so I chose the ones that underline Thom's voice the best. If you want a weird song to listen to and show your relatives and friends just how strange you are, this is it (also "Fitzpleasure" works too in this case). This song is too unusual not to love.

Favorite lyric: Pick a petal eenie meenie miney moe, and, flower, you're the chosen one

14. "Tiptoe" by Imagine Dragons

Imagine Dragons is coming out with a new album soon, but that doesn't mean I can't recommend an "old" song. "Tiptoe" is one of their originals and it brings you on a path of alternative joy. There are so many aspects to this song - it's amazing!

Favorite lyric: From your slanted view see the morning dew, sink into the soil, watch the water boil

15. "In Cold Blood" by Alt-j

This song literally just came out -- about one week ago. It's from Alt-j's new album Relaxer and it has awaited much anticipation. This song combines repetition, the use of brass instruments, and the style that was seen in An Awesome Wave. Much props to the band and I can't wait for the full album in June.

**This is a largely condensed list... if I could listen all of my jam choices, it would take forever