Alternative Scene, What a Year!

Alternative Scene, What a Year!

It might not have been your weekend, but it has definitely been a great year!

7
Odyssey

"Maybe it’s not my weekend but it's gonna be my year", one of the iconic lines from the song "Weightless", by pop punk/punk rockers All Time Low. And in the Punk Rock/Pop Punk/Alternative scene it has been quite an amazing year. From new albums to some bands reaching No. 1 on Billboard 200, it has just shown the world that alternative music is still out there, and is still going strong.

Let’s start off with the tours that happened this year. Blink 182 released a new album, California, without Tom Delonge, but they pulled it off well. The also went on tour with bands A Day To Remember and All American Rejects/All Time Low. That line up alone is a group of three of the scenes biggest bands and to see them all together is something that no one should have missed. Then there was the most Pop Punk tour of all time with headliners The Wonder Years supported by four other bands, Real Friends, Knuckle Puck, Moose Blood and Seaway. Again, this is easily the most pop punk tour to date that I have ever heard of, and it will not be one that will be happening again, so sorry for those who missed it! And sadly we have Yellowcard’s Final Tour, announcing their breakup and their final album, the self-titled Yellowcard. They had support from bands Like Torches and Dryjackets. This was probably the last opportunity you had to see Yellowcard live, unless you plan on going to the final show on March 25, 2017 in Anaheim, California. Well done Yellowcard, you had a good run and you will be missed.

One of the biggest events of the year in the scene is the Alternative Press Music Awards. We got to see some great bands all get together on stage. As well as some well-deserved awards were given out. From best live band Neck Deep, breakthrough band State Champs, and not just Best Album of the Year but also Best Artist of the Year, Twenty One Pilots. This really has been a great year for the alternative scene. We saw classic bands such as Green Day, Blink 182 and A Day To Remember all release new albums. The Wonder Year’s “Soupy” Campbell and Panic! At The Disco’s Brendon Urie both decided to get hitched, and Panic! released a great album about the Death of a Bachelor (I thought that was clever).

And a year ago, we saw one of the most tragic events in the scene, the accident of the band The Ghost Inside. They were involved in a car accident that resulted in the death of two. The band has had many surgeries, amputations, therapies, and many other types of support since their accident. The band received the most dedicated fans award, and they deserve it. But amidst all the struggle and other heartbreaks throughout the year we are all moving forward.

So, thus far it has been a great year and although it is almost over there are still some surprises coming our way. And congratulations to Brand New, whose album, The Devil And God Are Raging Inside Me, turned 10 this year.