20 Lines From Alt-Rock Songs That Sum Up My 2020

This list passed the 2020 vibe check.

42

In the spirit of an unconventional year, there was no better way to sum it all up in the best way - alternative rock.

I understand that some people, namely the alt-purists, might claim that these bands aren't "true" alt-rock, but as a reminder: "alternative" simply means unconventional, or non-conforming. While many of these bands have the majority of their sound based in other genres such as grunge or indie, they're all still technically alternative because they refuse to conform with the signature sounds we hear on the radio everyday, such as pop, rap, country, and classic rock.

These 20 lines summed up my 2020 - how about yours?

"Where is my mind?"

Where Is My Mind by Pixies

I felt really lost throughout most of 2020, and I felt like everything was changing so fast. I broke up with my boyfriend, graduated high school, and moved to another state by myself for college, and it felt like it all happened in a rush, which left my head spinning, and I felt like I just couldn't get a break. We're nearing the end of 2020 now and my head is barely back on my shoulders.

"It just takes some time"

The Middle by Jimmy Eat World

This line relates to the first one, in the sense that no matter how lost you are, everything will be okay in the end, it just takes time to get there. As much as I stressed over every little thing, it all ended up working out in the end.

"It is now my duty to completely drain you"

Drain You by Nirvana

2020 was nothing, if not draining. It felt like the sole purpose of this year was to push everyone to their limits and drain them of all energy. It's like we were all being tested to see just how much we could handle.

"I fear that I am ordinary just like everyone"

Muzzle by The Smashing Pumpkins

Many people learned something new about themselves this year, especially in quarantine. Some people used it as a time to better themselves and some couldn't handle the pressure, and did the best they could, and that's okay. But at some point we all felt a little pressured to make something of ourselves and do something new and interesting.

"It's something unpredictable, but in the end it's right"

Good Riddance by Green Day

Nobody could have predicted the mess that was 2020. This was supposed to be a good year; the year everyone got their lives together and did good. And instead, we were thrown countless unimaginable obstacles that nobody saw coming. But as we near the end of 2020, it's turning out okay. Slowly but surely, we're starting to get it together again, no matter what we went through.

"It's hard to wake up when the shades have been pulled shut"

Stay Together for the Kids by Blink-182

There were so many days this year where I did not want to get out of bed. I felt like I shouldn't have to go out and try when the world itself was giving up.

"Cause your crystal ball ain't so crystal clear"

Sabotage by Beastie Boys

There's no way anybody could've predicted anything that happened in 2020, crystal ball or not. The year that was supposed to bring clarity and "2020 vision" was about as clear as mud.

"Sometimes I cry so hard from pleading, so sick and tired of all the needless beating"

I Don't Love You by My Chemical Romance

This is a pretty self-explanatory one. 2020 took a lot from us and it was so unnecessarily cruel, no amount of crying and begging and praying could stop it.

"The future is coming on"

Clint Eastwood by Gorillaz

Whether you liked it or not, and whether it was good or bad, 2020 was happening no matter what.

"So I play these nervous songs, pretend that I'm barely hanging on"

We Own the Night by Dance Gavin Dance

Music was pretty much the only thing that kept me sane. A lot of times I felt like I was drowning. I went through a lot of life altering events, just like many others this year, and I felt lost in it all, but the one thing that I could consistently count on was my music.

"When everything feels like the movies, yeah you just bleed to know you're alive"

Iris by Goo Goo Dolls

The things that happened this year were straight out of a horror movie. If someone had told me that this was how the year was going, I'd laugh and ask which movie that plot came from. Bless the future generations who have to learn about 2020 in their history books. It's going to be a long chapter.

"The lives we make never seem to get us anywhere but dead"

The Day I Tried to Live by Soundgarden

At some points this year, I felt so unmotivated. I didn't care about anything that was going on, and I didn't see the point in doing anything special, because it didn't feel like it mattered when we are all just going to die some day anyways.

"Sometimes I wish someone out there will find me"

Boulevard of Broken Dreams by Green Day

2020 was so extraordinarily lonely. I moved states for college and had a really hard time making friends because of COVID-19, and I just really craved human connection.

"I am only human and I need to be loved"

How Soon Is Now? by The Smiths

Again, 2020 was a really lonely year, and I desperately wanted to feel like I was understood by someone. I wanted to feel like I wasn't alone and like I had someone who honestly cared about me.

"Why bother? It's gonna hurt me"

Why Bother by Weezer

I felt like I literally couldn't do anything right this year. It was like no matter what I did and no matter what my intentions were, I always just got hurt in the end.

"What the hell is going on? The cruelest dream, reality"

The Kids Aren't Alright by The Offspring

I feel like this one doesn't need much explaining. The insanity that was 2020 came out of nowhere and it was as if the worst case scenario was the only scenario; Murphy's Law was in full swing.

"I ain't nobody, got nothing in my pocket"

Beverly Hills by Weezer

2020 made me feel so insignificant, and of course, a lot of us were broke because of all of the shutdowns.

"And our lives are forever changed; We will never be the same"

Tonight, Tonight by Smashing Pumpkins

Nobody is making it out of 2020 without having been affected in one way or another, and we've all changed as people, for better or for worse.

"Don't worry even if things end up a bit too heavy, we'll all float on alright"

Float On by Modest Mouse

No matter what happened this year, 2021 is going to be better. We're going to make it out okay, and we're going to heal

"And I had too much caffeine"

Sex and Candy by Marcy Playground

The only way I got anything done this year was by fueling myself with exorbitant amounts of caffeine, and judging from my dorm building's lack of stocked coffee, I'd say a lot of my classmates felt the same way.