Alone Time: There's Nothing Wrong With Needing It

You want to be alone rather than be out again with a large, mentally stimulating group. You need time to recharge.

12

Imagine this: it's a Thursday night and all your friends are going out. You go out with them and thrive on their energy. You take awesome "Instas" and sorority squat till your legs give out. You smile, flip your hair, flirt. You have an overall awesome time.

Fast forward to Friday night. Again, the scene repeats itself, but you're not there. You want to be alone rather than be out again with a large, mentally stimulating group. You need time to recharge.

You need your alone time, and that's completely normal.

I'm an introvert through and through, but I have extroverted tendencies. I can go out with my friends and thrive and be the life of the party. After that's done, though, I need to recuperate from all the interaction. I need time to emotionally and mentally recharge.

This recharging can take days, maybe even a week, but what I'm tired of is being pressured into is hanging out with people when I'm not emotionally ready to do so. That's when my introverted self gets cranky and uncomfortable.

What people need to know about people like myself, is that we like to be alone.

And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

I enjoy my own company. I enjoy curling up on my bed with Netflix playing or reading a book with my favorite playlist. I enjoy going to the gym alone and keeping my music turned up a little louder than it should. I enjoy not being interrupted and being alone with my own thoughts.

Some might think that's weird, but I think that's what makes me, me.

I do my best work and thinking when I'm alone. Sure collaboration is great, but when I can focus on one thing by myself I can achieve greatness.

Some think it can't be healthy to be alone with your own thoughts for too long, and maybe they're right, but after a long and stimulating interaction with a large group of people, it's what I need.

So fast forward to next Friday when I'll most likely be out and about enjoying the company of my closest friends, documenting every laugh and smile. Now fast forward to next Saturday and Sunday, where I'll even more likely be curled up in my PJs watching Netflix and perusing Pinterest.

There's nothing wrong with it. I just like my alone time.

And that's what makes me, me.