Allies, Not Enemies

Allies, Not Enemies

Why we should be thankful for and not resentful towards the men and women in uniform.

35
Allies, Not Enemies
Police games for kids

Police officers go into work each day with one goal in mind: to protect and serve. Despite this, the recent frenzy of media coverage on officer related fatalities has given officers a villain complex in the minds of many citizens. The public view of police officers as a harmful presence creates both friction and distance between police and the community. This has led to many young people viewing the police as an enemy rather than the ally they are meant to be.

Like in every other profession, there are a few bad seeds amongst all of the great people in uniform. Despite this, it would be unfair to allow the small number of bad police officers represent the entire police force as a whole. The majority of police officers go into their line of work to help people and keep them safe. Some have felt a calling for the profession since they were young, and others have experienced something traumatic and want to help people in similar situations. More simply want to bring out the best in people and improve the community by making it a safer place. They go through vigorous training and must show serious commitment from the start of their careers, as well as physical and mental stamina. Officers also do not earn a very large salary considering the risks they're exposed to on a daily basis. These individuals who have answered the call to public service do not do it for the money or the prestige, they do it because their heart is in the right place in wanting to protect and serve the citizens of their communities and country they love.

No police officer wakes up for work in the morning wanting to kill someone. They work to enforce the law, not to break it. With that said, officers put their lives on the line every single day of their job. They enter into dangerous situations in which they often are unaware of the full extent of the danger at hand until they are there. Every day they deal with people with weapons, drugs, mental illness, and more. Even traffic stops can turn into deadly scenarios in a matter of seconds. They are taught that force, especially deadly force, is their last method to be used in making an arrest because at the end of the day their goal is the same as everyone else's: to make it home safe and sound to their family each night.

One example of a heroic officer is the story of San Diego Police Officer Jeremy Henwood. Henwood also served as a captain in the Marine Corps, and truly lived his entire life devoted to his country. When a child at a McDonald's asked him to borrow a dime, Henwood bought the boy's meal and struck up a conversation with him about his future aspirations. This conversation turned out to be the last he would ever have. Less than 20 minutes later, Henwood was shot and killed in a senselessly violent attack while eating in his patrol car. He was targeted only because of the uniform he was wearing. Officer Henwood not only demonstrated the ultimate sacrifice, but he lived even the smallest parts of his life dedicated to helping the people in his community.

Many other officers have made the same sacrifice as Officer Henwood. We are only entering into the month of April, and 30 officers have already been killed in the line of duty since the start of the year. Police officers should be recognized for their sacrifices and honored for their bravery rather than looked at as the enemy. It should never be forgotten that police officers, fire fighters and EMS run towards the danger and not away from it. They do this every day to not only protect their own families, but also to protect you in possibly the worst moment of your life.