7 Things People With Food Allergies Are Tired of Hearing

7 Things People With Food Allergies Are So Tired Of Hearing

HI! My name is Aly and I am allergic to gluten.

143
https://www.pexels.com/photo/food-salad-restaurant-person-5317/

Do I miss eating bread? Yes. Am I tired of people saying dumb stuff about my dietary restrictions? Hell yes. These are 7 things I'm tired of hearing about my food allergies.

I'm so glad I'm not allergic to X, I would die!

Being physically attacked by your body for eating something puts your life into perspective. People actually can die from eating their allergens. Once you actually have to make the choice over eating a cookie and living, life wins 100% of the time.

You're doing it for attention.

I could think of a million other ways to get attention than being "difficult" when ordering at a restaurant.

Are you actually allergic or do you just not like it?

*rolls eyes* I'm pretty sure me and my doctors are sure I'm allergic.

Going out to eat with you is such a hassle.

I'm so sorry that there aren't that many restaurants that have items on their menu that are not allergen-free. I have a general idea what is safe and what is not but I always have to be sure.

So what do you eat?

There are a lot of safe foods out there. If anything my own cooking has gotten more creative in order to avoid my allergen. There is a lot than I can eat, trust me.

There's a surcharge for the allergen-free alternative.

Gluten-free alternatives are always extra in restaurants and they're never as good as the real thing. I'd rather just eat the sandwich without the bread.

Is it preference or an allergy?

I was asked that at a fast food restaurant when requesting a gluten-free bun. What does it matter? A little bit of cross-contamination is okay if it's just a preference? No one should have to explain why they want the alternative, ESPECIALLY if you're charging extra for it.