Writing Prompts

Writing Prompts

Writing and dialogue prompts for all the aspiring authors.
Dacia
Dacia
136

For all my lovely writers, here is a treat for you. I know I sometimes have trouble getting my writings going, but I have found that reading prompts -- such as the ones I'm about to provide -- help me to focus more on what I'm writing. In an effort to help more of the amazing writers, I'm going to share some of my favorite prompts. Fifteen of them will be writing prompts, which are ideas on what you can write on/about, and the other fifteen dialogue prompts, which, as you may be able to deduce, are ideas of what you can have your characters say. Have fun!

Writing Prompts:

1. Demon loophole:

A character stumbles upon an ancient relic said to grant wishes in exchange for... a living creatures blood. Commonly, people have used human blood as it is readily available. However, this character has found a loophole in the relic's rules. Animal blood works just as well as human blood. The demon who made the relic is understandably annoyed.

2. Guardian.. Angel?

You're having a really bad day and look up, saying "Please, please, please, someone help me." One minute later, a guy with little horns pops up from nowhere and goes, "Man! You don't know how fast angels are. Like, daaaaaamn. Can you believe I am feeling the tiniest bit exhausted. WOW." Apparently, the Devil's son heard your request and had to fight several angels just to arrive first and be your helping 'guardian' because 'you're cute'.

3. Inside of You

A week ago, you sent in saliva to test your DNA ancestry. Today, at work, you are surrounded by heavily armed federal agents and put under 24 hour surveillance.

4. Into the... Future?

A time traveller from the 16th century comes to the present day. However, they're disappointed by how little technology has progressed. Little do they know, they arrived at a Renaissance fair...

5. Best Garbed

Of all the clothing out there, kilts are the best for your secret weapon. You can fit a ton of those suckers in there.

6. Objections

You rush into a church, thinking to stop the love of your life from marrying the wrong person. Not paying attention, you barge into the room, yelling, "I OBJECT!" only to realize it's a funeral. The deceased immediately rises in perfect health. All eyes turn to you.

7. I AM The Key

You can pass through any door with a keyhole...through the keyhole. What gave you this power and what will you do with it?

8. Serial Music

You are a world class musician by day and a serial killer by night. You are asked to perform at a funeral for a young women, only to find out that she was one of your victims.

9. Treasures Ashore

The old wooden boat had been stuck on the sandbar for years. It was rotten and begging the group of boys to uncover its hidden secrets.

10. Sentenced to Life

You are immortal. You've committed a crime that has cause you to be sentenced to life in prison. It has been 60 years, and people are starting to ask questions.

11. The Counter

You can see everyone's life spans above their heads. Many of the younger generations are greater than fifty, but you do see the occasional low number that breaks your heart. One day, you see someone with an infinity symbol.

12. Apocalypse

TV is interrupted by an Emergency Broadcast. The anchor says, "Please remain calm and stay indoors.." before he can give any more details, the powers cut. You now hear sirens going off in the distance.

13. People Library

You discover a library with a biography for everyone on Earth. While reading your own, you notice that whenever someone else if mentioned, there's a footnote showing where you can find their biography. One day, you decide to go looking for one. It's odd how someone who was only a sentence in your book has a whole chapter for you.

14. Customer Service

Every worker at IKEA was once an average customer who got lost. Today, you're at IKEA for some furniture, but you can't find the exit anymore.

15. Into Hell

One evening, a portal to hell opens at the foot of your bed. A demon strides through, rips off your covers, and begins to drag you through the portal by your ankles. It says, "You're going to help me settle a bet."

Dialogue Prompts:

1. "You were always the most dangerous thing here."

2. "At this point, my options are a) knit my scarf, or b) commit homicide."

3. "What the hell kind of noise was that?"

"I sneezed."

"That was NOT a sneeze."

4. "Don't you have a country to run?"

"They're is in the hospital, the country can wait."

"I don't think it works like that."

"I run the country, so it does."

5. "You said you found her behind a tree?"

6. "Have you seen this man?"

"Only every day since I was seven."

7. "Hey, I didn't kill anyone today!"

"What do you want? A gold star?"

8. "Do you have a death wish? She literally has a bear for a pet!"

9. "You keep a bulletproof vest in your gym locker?"

"Yes. Where do you keep yours?"

"I don't have one."

"A gym locker? Everyone has a gym locker."

10. "What is that thing in your backpack?"

"It's my new pet dragon."

"Dragons aren't real!"

"Then why is there one in my backpack?"

11. "You can't just turn into a bat and fly away when you don't want to deal with things!"

"Watch me!"

12. "Oh, please. Twenty years from now, you're terrified at the mention of my name. I promise. You should see yourself when you burst into tears. It's pretty funny."

13. "So you call yourself 'Black Spectre'?"

"Yeah. Wanted to go by Dementor, but that would be copyright infringement."

14. "Wait. You're a superhero?"

"How do you not know? My face is literally on the news on a weekly basis."

"I'm in grad school. I won't have time to follow popular media until I finish my thesis. You're lucky I've carved out some of my non-existent free time to date you."

15. "I have something most people spend their whole lives searching for."

"What's that?"

"Someone who would give me the world if I asked. And it terrifies me."