Thank You For The Backlash

Thank You For The Backlash

I appreciate what you're teaching me.
376

For this week's article, I have been unsure of what to write. I began thinking back on my week—what I’ve gone through these past seven days and what I feel I need to get off of my chest. I started thinking about the people who don’t have nice things to say when they read what I write. I’ve decided to take this opportunity to address that.

Last week, I received an amazing amount of support ranging from strangers to the people closest to me. Then, I started to hear about a small few talking poorly about what I had written. My first thought was, I really don't care. I don't create articles to receive praise. I write what I write to help me grow and to help others feel more comfortable in their own skin. It helps me to deal with my anxiety. Anyone who has seen me type knows that my fingers run a marathon on the keyboard. My mind is constantly racing, and writing is the best way for me to understand how I'm feeling.

I am able to get my thoughts out differently and more efficiently than if I verbalize them (shocking because I can talk forever). Expressing myself helps me to understand how to move forward and keep persevering. When I write, I begin to learn things about myself that I didn't know before. It opens a flood-gate, in a way. So, when I hear negative feedback about my stream of consciousness, I feel the need to know more.

I genuinely want to know where their thoughts stem from. I want to educate myself. Maybe somehow it will help me with my writing as well as myself. I am all for different perspectives.

I had a few thoughts enter my mind while thinking about this:

Why is it that people feel the need to disrespect others they don’t know? Maybe it’s because they feel uncomfortable with people's willingness to be vulnerable and speak out. Just know that their judgments show everything about them and nothing about you.

These people might also be feeling insecure in the way in which they express themselves. Rather than getting angry, it's important to look at these situations with compassion and understanding. That's what life is really about, right?

Most importantly, I do not allow rude comments to negatively affect me. It has taken me a long time and a lot of work to get to this stage in my life. I have come to realize that I can only change the way I think and perceive things. One of my favorite quotes is stated below. I believe it says a lot about life, and it helps me to move on.

"The three things I cannot change:

The past,

The truth,

and you."

To sum it all up, focus on your own happiness. Try not to allow other people's opinions to rain on your parade.