All Girl And Half Boy

All Girl And Half Boy

I was raised by a gang of three older brothers, and I couldn't be more thankful.

64
All Girl And Half Boy
Lauren Betzina

Most people with older brothers would agree that it's either the best thing in the world or the worst. I tend to side with those who say it’s the best. At least, that’s definitely been the case as I’ve gotten older. But when I was young? Not so much.

It wasn’t that my brothers were ever truly horrible to me, but they were young boys, and, well, they didn’t know how to be nice to a younger sister all the time. I would find my Barbie dolls' heads strategically placed on the stairs as I would walk up them. I would find my room filled with their toys, and when I was really young, they would throw plastic balls into my crib. So, it wasn’t always sunshine and rainbows.

But I also remember when my middle brother Cody would stop what he was doing just to play pretend with me. We’d get sticks and rush out into the yard and slay vampires and zombies. My older brother Greg would sometimes even let me play a Halo campaign with him on our old Xbox (although sometimes I was just his target practice). And my other older brother Chris would let me take dumb pictures of him or play video games. They all were usually willing to play along with whatever dumb game I wanted, and more than once I wrangled them down to play Pretty Pretty Princess with me (that board game is the best, by the way).

As I’ve grown older and they have too, my brothers really became my best friends. They are who I turn to when I’ve got nowhere else to go, and they know all about our crazy family and everything that entails. I can text them at 2 a.m. and they will respond with a call immediately. All three of them are always there for me, and I know they always will be. They still make fun of me and give me a hard time whenever they can, and I do the same. Because if we didn't, they wouldn't really be my big brothers.

I couldn’t thank them enough for all they’ve done for me; they are the reason I am who I am today. I learned the most important lessons from them, like how to stick by family, how to correctly hock a loogie, and how to burp and rate it. They also were there for me when I needed it. They came to track meets and orchestra concerts. They made it to almost every important step in my life. No matter what, they made time for me.

They were there for both of my graduations, and soon enough they’ll get to be there for my wedding. They always want what’s best for me, and they always support me in everything I want to do. I miss them all the time like crazy, and I’m really excited to go home and spend some good sibling time with them. I am so lucky that I have three amazing older brothers who love me so much, and I am so lucky to be able to love them back

Thank you guys for making me all girl and half boy. I love you guys.