Alice In The Afternoon

Alice In The Afternoon

A Short Story

27
Alice In The Afternoon
Coffee and Rain

It was precisely 2:51 in the afternoon. A young girl sat in a café nudged in between Sycamore Street and Berry Avenue. It was a small white brick building with a red paneled door. The words “Bliss” was sinuously drawn in gold paint across the top panel. Inside there were wooden tables scattered about the room, each with white worn-out chairs hugging velvety cushions. The café smelt of sweets and rosemary. On each table was a small awkward plant that stood alone and quiet. The young girl sat on a creamy olive chair next to the window. A red velvet cupcake on a white porcelain plate mockingly laid in front of her. She had out her laptop, staring at the screen with a blank look. She took turns from looking at her laptop to the scorched street outside filled with pieces of paper and fly away advertisements. Her name was Alice Barnes. Alice was a daydreamer, like all of us. She dreamt of traveling to faraway places and sailing on sailboats across the Mediterranean with dashing Italians. But for now she was stuck here, where work was persistent and her life a whirlwind of emotions. She knew she should be studying for her political science class but her mind was elsewhere. While fidgeting with her fingers, the cupcake melting in the sunlight, and the café’s aroma growing stronger as newly made muffins were coming out of the oven, a thin man with a long brown beard walked in. He wore a tattered blue shirt covered in stains with a cigarette in his right hand, smoke still fluttering out from the snake’s mouth. He scuffed his way across the room to the shiny glass cases of cupcakes and tarts. His hungry eyes ever so slowly examined each bakery item. Alice glanced at him, feeling a little uncomfortable as to why this homeless man was in this café. One of the ladies that worked in the café walked around the corner from the kitchen brushing her powdery hands on her blue apron.

“Hey Earnest!” She said with a big smile. Earnest looked at her and hinted a smile. He lifted his hand with the cigarette as if about to put it in his mouth, but before doing so asked her if he could have some water. “Right away!” The lady said as popped down from the counter, rummaging through some old cabinets looking for a plastic cup. Once she found one she poured some ice-cold water in it and gave it to Earnest. Earnest took it eagerly and walked away gulping the whole thing down in seconds. He threw it away about to walk out the door but stopped as he was about to reach the gray sun beaten sidewalk. He closed the door and looked over at Alice who was beginning to pack her stuff. Alice looked horrified as she noticed the lady was gone and she was the only one in the café. Earnest began to walk over to her. Alice examined that he had a limp and looked like he was mumbling something to himself. She looked down at her backpack and stood up as Earnest sat down right in front of her.

“Oh do you want to sit here? Well, that’s perfect since I’m leaving.” Alice rapidly said as she pulled out her phone motioning her way towards the door.

“Ohhhh I waz hoping to get to talk to ya fora little.”

“Sorry but I have to leave.” Alice pushed in her chair.

“I waz betting I getted to talk to you miss about Mr. Wicklemore.” Alice stopped. Everything stopped. Her breath halted, her body froze. Her heart was beating so fast she felt like it was going to jump out from her and run all the way to Timbuktu. Alice hadn’t heard that name in years, for her whole family never spoke of it. Mr. Wicklemore was Alice’s estranged great-grandfather. A “true psycho” Alice’s father use to say. Alice looked down at Earnest, who was looking at her with his dark caramel eyes.

“How do you know him?” She asked.

“I served with him.”

“In the war?”

“No. Well, not at first,” he laughed to himself “I served as his apprentice back in those 40’s.” Alice looked rather confused.

“An apprentice to what?” She inquisitively asked.

“See itza good thing I came down to see ya cuz you know nothing for sure about him.” Alice became intrigued and sat back down, her backpack still on her shoulders. She leaned forward looking at him, thinking to herself maybe this was her great grandfather who escaped his horrifying death of dying in a plane crash and had come back to haunt her.

“He was an artist of some sorts for some time ya see. I was wanting to learn the trade.” Earnest began his story as he placed his hands on the table, the cigarette still lit. “I had an eye for seeing things. It was in Paris in 1939 when we first meet. Your great granddaddy has just returned from Barcelona, Spain where he had painted. He had opened his own galleria in Paris next to his friends’ florist shop. I can still remember them smell of those hydrangeas.” Earnest’s words began to flow better together and sound more eloquent. Alice imagined it was her great grandfather speaking. Earnest continued to say that Mr. Wicklemore sought out to Barcelona to capture with paint the intimacy and colorful form of the architecture. It was the colorful beauty he fell in love with. He wanted to share his discoveries with others. On that sunny day in Paris his eyes feel upon naïve and adventuresome Earnest Applegate, who was an American such as himself, traveling to Europe to learn about art.

“Young fella, how would you like to learn to paint.” Mr. Wicklemore pointed at Earnest as he stood next to his set of painting. Young Earnest clean shaven with the same perplexing eyes looked stunned, and pointed at himself.

“Yes, you son!” Mr. Wicklemore profoundly spoke. “Come here!” He motioned for him to walk over to his assortment of canvases. “What do you see?” Mr. Wicklemore passionately asked. Earnest looked at the vibrant paintings. “I see color.”

“Yes, what else?” Mr. Wicklemore excited asked. Earnest looked at the painting against. The fluid brushstrokes carried with it such an oscillating movement that the painting felt whimsical yet harshly formed at the same time.

“I see a river with fish jumping out trying to fly.” Earnest slowly said.

“My son, you have an artistic eye! Let me teach you my ways.”

***

Earnest today looked nostalgic as he was reviewing his old past.

“After us meeting it waz clear that I looked up to that man. Ya see I had no father of my own, so he filled in those shoes. Every day I would come into the art studio and he would tell me one thing “paint what you feel.” So, every day I would paint something different. It waznt till later when Mr. Wicklemore had bought some clay did I start messing with it and molded a small fish, when he noticed I had a talent. Mr. Wicklemore told me “I am absolutely in love with this! The texture on the gills and the rigid scales evoked such a natural state, Earnest you have a hidden talent.” Earnest grinned at himself to saying this. He continued to tell Alice that Mr. Wicklemore then wanted to travel to India so he could culture him in the arts there.

***

India was the place of spices, silks, and bold anthromorphic art. Mr. Wicklemore knew the Swami, a Hindu leader of an Indian village, who gave both Mr. Wicklemore and Earnest shelter and food during their stay there. Here in India Mr. Wicklemore took Earnest to observe the statues of their gods and the animals that they worshipped. There Earnest and Mr. Wicklemore meet Aayush, a middle-aged man with the most joyous laugh a human being could have. He took them one day riding elephants in the jungle. They stopped at a river to wash themselves when a dragon like creature flew by.

***

“Excuse me, but a dragon?” Alice interrupted as she leaned over with even more curiosity.

“Yes it waz a dragon. I won’t ever forget its massive wings and groggy breath, but…

as the dragon flew buy its tail hitting a tree one of the elephants ran away into the forest. Aayush ran after him. That was the last they saw of Aayush, or they thought. As for Earnest and Mr. Wicklemore they had searched for long hours to find their way back to the village but were unsuccessful in doing so. Instead they camped on the forest floor as the trees came to life and the birds kept them awake with their constant sublime singing. Earnest woke at around midnight to find that Mr. Wicklemore was gone but didn’t think much of it. The next morning both were rescued by Mr. Wicklemore’s friends and took the ship home later that afternoon.

***

“Returning to Paris, I felt enlightened in some state.” Earnest continued his story, “I began to ya sculpt magical creatures that I made up in my mind. Some had snouts like elephant’s, claws like a tigers and scales like a dragon. I took all I saw in India and made it come to life.” Earnest jumbled through his blue jean pocket and pulled out a tine clay statuette of a monkey looking creature with elephant’s ears and a long spikey tail. He held it in his hand in front of Alice. Alice looked at it for a minute not sure what to do. She then picked it up and smiled, looking at him with a sense of sympathy.

“After that there was the war. I couldn’t leave him ya see. So, we went to war together. Me my still young self following Mr. Wicklemore everywhere he went. I think we was in Poland We were in them trenches, when a young foolish lad runs out yelling “I’m late! I’m late.” Mr. Wicklemore pops up from sitting against his good old rifle taking a smoke, and yells for the boy to come back, but…”

***

it was clear the boy was long gone as his body disappeared into the night fog. Mr. Wicklemore turned to Earnest who had splashes of blood mixed with mud dripping from his forehead down over his bloodshot eyes. Mr. Wicklemore put his hand on Earnest’s shoulder and said,

“Earnest, that was my actual son who just ran away. His mother told me to watch over him without ever revealing to him who I was. I must go after him.” Mr. Wicklemore looked down at his feet and smiled to himself.

“Meet me in Innsburck, Austria in Inntal Valley between Telfs and Zirl on May 4, 1951 at approximately 2 o’clock. Look for the red tree.” With that he jumped out from the trench and ran towards the fog as screams and gunshots could be heard in the distance.

***

Earnest now looked down at his lap shaking his head laughing.

“I for sure was shocked. I figure to myself that he had this boy with Miss Marion a constant visitor back at his studio in Paris. Though she never said much only talked through her looking. So, you bet ya on May 4, 1951. I went to Inntal Valley. I took the train, got a crepe and walked 3 hours to the exact location. For sur enof I found that red tree. Yes, it was red in the middle of May! It stood out like a sore thumb, its radiating branches looked like they had splattered paint on them.

***

Earnest, once he finally reached the valley stood there looking around at the rolling celestial hills and snow tipped mountains in the distance. He looked at his watch. Approximately 5 minutes it’ll 2. Earnest sat down on the soft grass smelling the trees. Than a man appeared coming down the hill and into the valley. Earnest first saw his floppy hat breezing in the wind. The man was limping and looked too young to be Mr. Wicklemore. Earnest stood up slowly and looked at him. It wasn’t Mr. Wicklemore but his son, the one who ran away.

Out of breath the man said “Are you Earnest Applegate?”

“Yes sir I am.” Earnest solemnly said.

“Well, I have a letter for you. It’s from my father, but he isn’t able to come today.”

“He is alive? Thank God, is he well?” Earnest, in relief, asked.

“Oh, he’s fine. He’s back in Spain picking up something, but this is for you.” Hands Earnest the letter.

“Well, I’m off.” And with that he was gone up the hill into the Austrian wilderness. Earnest looked at the letter. The envelope was clean and smelt of sunflowers. Earnest opened it and it read.

My dear Earnest,

Sorry I am unable to see you but I have some matters to attend to in Spain. I am sad I am not able to share with you all my stories, for I would love a great laugh as I miss our talks. I am writing to let you know that I am well and am working on something big. But I have to ask a favor of you. In this envelope is another letter and a shell necklace pierced with a golden ring. I’d like you to give it to my great-granddaughter Alice Barnes on March 29, 2017 in Bliss Café in Fort Worth, Texas at about 4:34. She’ll be wearing a red cashmere sweater since she’s always cold, sweet thing. Give this to her and the other letter. I hope the rest of your life is truly an adventure! I cherished every second we were together! Au revior! Best, Mr. John Wicklemore

Earnest had been reciting the letter with his eyes closed to Alice who was as white as a ghost. She tried to open her mouth to say something but nothing came out. She then thought to herself if it was possible this man was a lunatic who made this all up, but yet happens to know who her great-grandfather is, which makes her crazy just listening to this guy. Earnest then pulled something out of his other pocket and it was a letter absorbed in coffee stains with tattered edges. He dusted it off and handed it to her. Alice opened it and in it was the letter addressed to Earnest from Mr. Wicklemore. She read over it. It was word from word what Earnest had said. Her hands started to shake as she realized she was wearing a red cashmere sweater. Alice was burning inside. Her heart was caving into her stomach as the sun was beginning to wane. She looked at the date it was written, March 1951.

“He died in 1950. In an airplane crash.” Alice quickly said.

“That’s what your family wants you think.” Earnest said smirking as he lifted the cigarette to take a puff. As he bit down on the cigarette he handed her another envelope.

It said “To Alice”. Alice trembling opened it. Out feel the necklace just as Earnest had said. The shell looked so shiny as if it had just been picked from the ocean in Hawaii. Alice lifted it to her nose. It still smelt like palm trees and sea salt. She opened the letter. The paper was thin but strong. Her emerald eyes hit the page as she began to read to herself. The letter said

Alice,

I know this is strange, me knowing when to give this to you and the fact that I know you exist even before your parents are married, but I’m a traveler you see. Not exactly like the ones you want to be. My spectrum is a little broader. But I’m asking a favor of you. Earnest has done enough for me, poor lad, but I need you to wear this necklace. As to why I need you to wear it, that is up for you to discover yourself. When you wear it walk over to that public library book stand outside of your café and there should be the book Alice in Wonderland. Pull it out and flip to page 45 and read the 6th sentence out loud. Au revoir Cheri! See you soon!- Grandy Wick

“See you soon” ran through Alice’s mind. She looked up from the letter shivering in her hands at an empty chair and saw that Earnest was gone, as if vanished into thin air. She gulped loudly. It was nearing 5. She knew herself to always complain that nothing exciting happened in her life, so she was going to utilize this moment. She put on the necklace. It was light and airy, but other than that she didn’t feel any different. She walked outside the café leaving all her stuff and walked to the public library which was a small box with a glass case holding only a few books. For sure enough Alice in Wonderland was there. She pulled it out and flipped to page 45 and read out loud the 6th sentence,

“It’s no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then.” All of a sudden Alice felt a rumble beneath her feet as if she had awakened some deadly beast. Alice fell to the ground shielding her face from whatever was going to happen. All of a sudden the rumbling stopped. She stood up and everything was the same. She thought to herself. “I’m going crazy.” She walked back to the café and noticed that the door was no longer a bright red but a dreamy blue. She ignored it and walked in and started to collect her things.

“Want anything for the road?” Alice heard a voice from the counter and turned around to see the Mad Hatter. She knew it was him because he was wearing a high-top hat, a blue uneven trimmed waistcoat, and wore a fanciful grin on his face. His eyes were exotic and looked like an array of different colors. Words began to tumble out of Alice’s mouth.

“Well no matter, it’s time for tea any way. Will you join us?” The Mad Hatter said as he motioned to where the kitchen originally was but was now an aviary with a long creamy yellow table with other strange looking guests. Alice ran out to her car. She opened the car door to throw her stuff in and saw Twiddle Dee and Twiddle Dum rolling around in her car laughing. She dropped her backpack on what she thought would be the cement parking lot but was now sparkling verdant grass. She looked around her and began to see characters from Alice in Wonderland walking on the streets. Grass and strange shrubs began to encompass the pavements. The buildings started to garner bizarre colors and elongated windows. Hedges grew around the café and towering above the phone lines. The normal pedestrians paid no attention to any of these changes. The necklace brought the characters from this book to life. All of a sudden a man dressed in a red kurta with white trousers and silver moccasins walked over with a smaller man wearing a feathered headdress and holding a gold cane. Jumping next to him was the white rabbit, clutching his pocket watch. The man with the headdress bowed his head and introduced himself to Alice.

“Hello, my name Aayush. We are at your service.” Alice’s eyes grew wide as she examined his amazing outerwear and then realized that this must be the Aayush Earnest was talking about. The one who ran after the elephant. He didn’t look aged at all. It must have been 60 years ago. Aayush turned to the elaborately dressed man with the silver moccasins and said,

“I prefer this to time traveling. Traveling through books is a much more invigorating way to live.” The decorated man hinted a smile and laughed. He had a gold tooth that reflected the cool sunlight. He looked at Alice and opened his arms.

“Come Alice! Give your old great grandpa a hug!” Alice was past shock now. She was encountering her great grandfather who was supposed to be dead 60 years ago and was now seeing fanciful creatures from Wonderland around her. Alice examined his face and realized that she saw a striking reflection of her father in him. Alice hugged him and said,

“But how are you still alive? You should be well over 100 but don’t look a year over 40?”

“I’m a time traveler.” He said casually “It’s a family trait you’ll inherit it. But thanks to Aayush here, who was wearing a similar necklace to the one you have on now, same powers and all, traveled approximately 55 years ago into the book Saint George and the Dragon, hint the dragon. I went to India not only to educate Earnest but to find another necklace like this so I as well can travel into any book. We’ve been book hopping ever since.” Alice slowly felt the pieces coming together but was still in awe how this was actually true. Mr. Wicklemore continued.

“But we lost both the necklaces while in Wonderland. I knew this was going to happen since I’m a time traveler and I have knack of guessing what’s going to happen in the future. So, I found a third one in Spain that was going to be given to you, so that you could free us one day from Wonderland.” He let out a roaring laugh and turned to Aayush who looked grateful to be out from the book.

“Thanks for freeing us out from Wonderland.” He said in a state of relief “Those snipper snappers were getting really annoying.” Alice laughed.

“So am I in Wonderland now?” Alice, with her breath quickening, asked.

“No, not exactly. This always happens when you jump to another book, some of the characters and setting tag along with you.” Wicklemore said.

“Well you’re out now. So, what’s your plan?” Alice wondered.

“Oh to do more book hopping. I’m just having too much fun. I’m dying to visit Hogwarts. I know the Harry Potter series is very popular now days!” Alice felt a fluttering in her stomach. Alice than saw Earnest walk towards her in his same attire with the cigarette casually in his mouth. He put his arm around Mr. Wicklemore and said,

“I’m ready for another adventure! Ya coming Alice?” Earnest said as Mr. Wicklemore stretched out his hand covered in golden rings and bedazzled diamond tattoos to Alice. Alice smiled.

***

It was precisely 5:43 in the late afternoon. The lights were dim in Bliss Café. Alice was stuffing her laptop and books that she didn’t get to studying into her black North Face backpack. She picked up her melted cupcake that she never ate and took one bite of it throwing the rest away. Instead of studying she found herself blotting down ideas on her laptop of her future adventures. She walked out of the café and to her car. She saw the homeless man sitting on the side of the street smoking his cigarette. He looked up at her. Something was in his hand. It was not till a car drove by that she saw it was the book Alice in Wonderland securely held open in his hands. He then closed the book, holding it to his chest. Alice just stared at him for a solid minute. After a while, they both simultaneously smiled at one another and Alice left to her car as the white rabbit could be seen hoping down the road with his silver trimmed pocket watch in hand.

FIN